Topic: Go Mac?/Monitor Choice

Hey ya'll...

I'm thinking about plunking down for a Mac. 

But, aside from the style, what reason is there to do so?

I can browser test in webkit for Windows to simulate Safari, and every app needed is on Windows as well...

*Convince me that I need a Mac!!!* lol

Seriously, though, I am trying to look at the decision from a logical standpoint.  I'm eyeing up a plain Macbook to tote around, and to give a second monitor option...

And furthermore, I've been looking at a 20 inch widescreen from Dell (and other vendors) to hit it up on a second monitor.  Any suggestions that would help the workflow chug along?

Yo.  This is my sig.  It roars.

Re: Go Mac?/Monitor Choice

I've been a Windows user since windows 3.1. After my first week on a mac, I knew I would never be going back.

Everything is more intuitive, cleaner, more style, more aestheticly pleasing, and easier on the eye. I'm more relaxed on my mac than I ever have been on a windows PC. I don't have to be as anal about security. Programs just work. No DLL-hell. With Windows running via Parallels or through Bootcamp, there is absolutely no reason for you not to get a mac as a developers PC. You have the best of ALL worlds or planets (including Pluto), in one machine.

I won't ever be getting a pure windows box, unless I'm setting up a server (build your own), or for some reason start playing crazy amounts of computer games. I was hesitant at first, but after the purchase, I'm just less "stressed" on my mac, than I ever have been on any other machine.

It just works. Go get one. Now. You won't regret it.

Let me put in a plug for the iMacs.  I picked up a 20" version back in April, and I absolutely love it.  Quite possibly one of the best computers I've ever worked on, and not just because it has a sweet 20" display.  Seriously, it's almost painful to go into work and look at my 21" CRT.  I can only imagine what the new 24" versions are like... yowza!

I realize it's not portable, but it is still a very solid machine that I'd highly recommend to anyone.

I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come...

I've got a Macbook. I was looking at the differences between a Macbook and Macbook Pro, and there's really none aside from size and the video card. That being said, I have it hooked up to an external 19" LG monitor. Here's my initial review of the Macbook, and a photo...

http://sonspring.com/journal/macbook-1st-impressions

http://flickr.com/photos/nathansmith/164451819/

Give me liturgy or give me death.

I switched from a PC to a Mac this month.  I had been thinking about it for a long time, and finally made the decision because my husband's motherboard died (and was pretty much irreplaceable, due to its age), meaning we needed another computer.

Unlike a lot of people, I did not find the transition particularly easy.  I think this is mostly because I was really pretty good with Windows (she said humbly) and knew all the shortcut keys for *everything* I do.  Switching to Mac, most of my shortcuts don't work as expected (even the "Home" and "End" keys!). 

Since I am in the habit of navigating extensively via the keyboard, this has been downright painful.  I've now figured out most of the equivalents and am functioning pretty quickly again, but there was about a week and a half that left me feeling slow, stupid, and depressed at the end of each work day.

I'm also pretty disappointed with the speed of this little beastie.  I got the new Mac Mini (and yes, I realize that's not the top-of-the-line machine, but still...) with 1GB of RAM.  When using multiple programs, it's slower than my 4 year old PC.  I wasn't expecting that.

All that said, now that I *have* transitioned, I won't be going back.  Why?  Because I like the software and the interface better, and I like the flexibility I have when developing. 

I *love* TextMate (and this is coming from someone who has been on a quest for the last couple of years for "the perfect editor").  I like the fact that I can test for several browsers on one machine (using Parallels, VNC to one of my other computers, etc.).  I like my Mac better every day.

Should you get a Mac? 

I'd say yes, if you are going to get a new computer either way.  Yes, if you care deeply about your editor.  Yes, if you want to streamline browser testing (and don't mind paying a little extra for Parallels).  Yes, if you're prepared to lose a little time while you learn the differences.

No, if you're short on money and have a machine that works for you.  No, if you're really happy with your current software and processes.

Hope this helps!

bookchiq wrote:

Unlike a lot of people, I did not find the transition particularly easy.  I think this is mostly because I was really pretty good with Windows (she said humbly) and knew all the shortcut keys for *everything* I do.  Switching to Mac, most of my shortcuts don't work as expected (even the "Home" and "End" keys!). 

Since I am in the habit of navigating extensively via the keyboard, this has been downright painful.  I've now figured out most of the equivalents and am functioning pretty quickly again, but there was about a week and a half that left me feeling slow, stupid, and depressed at the end of each work day.

I know this is probably a little too late for you, but for other potential switchers, here are some lists of common OS X keyboard shortcuts.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459
http://davespicks.com/writing/programming/mackeys.html

Nathan Smith wrote:

I've got a Macbook. I was looking at the differences between a Macbook and Macbook Pro, and there's really none aside from size and the video card. That being said, I have it hooked up to an external 19" LG monitor. Here's my initial review of the Macbook, and a photo...

http://sonspring.com/journal/macbook-1st-impressions

http://flickr.com/photos/nathansmith/164451819/

one other thing to consider is that the MacBook Pro has an Express slot if you want to connect to Firewire 800 or a media card reader, and if you are going to be doing a lot of graphic work the increased resolution is a plus. you can get a refurb one for 1599 or so, really not much more than a MacBook if you're getting the upgraded model. the MacBook is a capable little machine though, just throwing some food for thought out there.

more reasons to switch here. plus your coffee tastes better and the sun shines a little brighter wink

chris (fig): i'm not random, i'm tangent oriented... : www.tangentoriented.com

Wow, you guys are awesome at responding!  thank you so much, hopefully I can respond well in return to you guys!

I reatlly apprecaite it.

I will add that while i'm very much not a Dell fan, they do make nice monitors. I've got a Dell 20" widescreen LCD here at work that i'm very happy with.

chrisfig wrote:

I will add that while i'm very much not a Dell fan, they do make nice monitors. I've got a Dell 20" widescreen LCD here at work that i'm very happy with.

My neighbor has a Dell LCD that he really likes to.  IIRC, Dell's LCDs use many of the same components as Apple's Cinema Displays, albeit in a much less cooler package.

I also have the ell 20" widescreen and am very happy with it. My only complaint is that bright colors (especially pure red #ff0000) tend to bleed on the screen. This is not a problem for me but would make me very unhappy if I relied on color exactness.

Ryan Heneise  |  Art of Mission  |  Now with extra-strong Donor Tools mojo

Hmmm..that's the one that I'm looking at too... (the 20 inch Dell)

Is it really big enough?  Or is it too big?  I WANT to be hesitant to lay down $400 for a monitor...any other comparable monitors?  Or what about non-widescreen?

Last edited by newmansmm (2006-09-23 07:15:46)

I've got one of the 20" iMacs, and the screen size is just about right for me.  Then again, I've never really thought there is such a thing as "too much" screen size. wink

You can probably find a CRT monitor that's the same size for a lot less, but personally, I find it very difficult to work on a CRT.  The LCD is just so much brighter and crisper that, by comparison, my old CRT just looks blurry.

I really like the widescreen, the extra screen real estate is very worth it when working in any sort of graphics app. for a good chunk less you could pick up a very nice 19" non-widescreen Sony LCD.

Last edited by chrisfig (2006-09-23 10:42:34)