Topic: Hosting for Textpattern

I am building a TXP site from scratch for a client who doesn't yet have a hosting plan. I am currently looking at http://www.siteground.com//Textpattern-hosting.htm but am open to any suggestions.

Re: Hosting for Textpattern

I recommend Dreamhost, and I think there are several postings here in the Gb forums with coupon codes....

"I was blind, but now I see!"  John 9:25

Yup I'd recommend Dreamhost also.

Exercise your faith!

You guys are just saying that because of the kick-backs!

Just kidding...

Looks like Dreamhost has one heck of a bargain... a terabyte of traffic per month for under ten bucks? Insane!

btw - I could not find any posts here with coupon codes

I personally use Dreamhost and have no complaints.  They've been one of the best hosting providers that I've ever used.  You may also want to consider TextDrive. (Although I've never used them I've heard good things.)  They cost a little more and maybe don't offer quite as much storage/bandwidth, but they offer a lot of really cutting edge stuff (sometimes faster than DH) and it's built by the same people doing Textpattern.

SteelPixel also has a hosting for life plan that they're offering right now, might want to check that out.

Here's a link to a ForeverGeek article on DH promo codes.
http://forevergeek.com/geek_resources/d … _codes.php
The deal with the promo codes is this: DH gives you kickbacks for signing up other users.  It also allows you to establish coupon codes that will essentially give some (or all) of your kickback back to the person signing up under you as a discount.  That's why there's so many different/new ones out there all the time, people can create their own and possibly make a little dough in the meantime.

Use MAX97 as your promo code, and you will automatically get the maximum discount for whatever plan you choose with Dreamhost, $97 being the largest discount allowed. I use Dreamhost, and am lovin' them. I'm not saying you wouldn't find good hosting elsewhere, but I have no complaints. I made it on the front page of Digg twice, and my service didn't skip a beat. Likewise, Godbit made it on the front page for Robert's Ruby on Rails (man, that's a lot of R's) article, and we didn't have any problems. I host sonspring.com, godbit.com, olgasmith.com, and lifelightinc.com all on the same basic Dreamhost plan. They allow for unlimited dot-coms, unlimited MySQL databases, and a huge amount of bandwidth per month. That type of flexibility along with their great tech support is priceless, in my opinion.

Other big-name sites that run w/ Dreamhost are SimpleBits.com and MezzoBlue.com, both published book authors on the topic of web design, and both (I think) on the basic hosting plan.

Give me liturgy or give me death.

I was pretty close to signing up for DH, until I read many horror stories online. The Better Business Bureau doesn't exactly give them a glowing review either...

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Busin … D=13131294

Then of course there is this lovely site:

http://www.dreamhost-sucks.com/

I will probably get a basic account for a test spin, but I am still not sold on any given provider who I can heartily recommend to my clients. Sure, it's nice to get kickbacks to help with expenses, but I would rather have rock-solid service and speed to make my clients happy. Another day, another google search...

Wow, I had no idea about their BBB rating or that the DH Sucks site even existed. All I can say is that from my experience, it has been a good one. I'm definitely not trying to advocate a bad service, or just do it for the gain of kickbacks, etc. The only company I have had a really bad hosting experience with was 1and1.com, as did Jeff Croft who has since switched to Dreamhost. Anyway, with huge hosting companies, people are bound to have bad experiences, and with a blog that is anti-DH encouraging people to file with the BBB, I'm not surprised they have a rating of "F" because the BBB isn't exactly a real technically savvy company, and just does what consumer feedback necessitates.

So, all I'm saying in all of that is weigh your options, and then make a decision. I stand by what I said about Dreamhost. I've heard that Media Temple is also good, albeit on the more pricey side of things. I haven't actually hosted with them before, so can't really give any solid input about 'em.

Give me liturgy or give me death.

I have my sites hosted with Dreamhost as well and I have had a great experience thus far. I had a huge surge of traffic from the article I wrote on RoR that was posted here and on my site and I had no problems whatsoever.

I am sure you will find people that will complain about every hosting company out there.

I've had short outtages with Dreamhost with email and I've noticed that RSS feeds sometimes disappear for several minutes at a time, but I can't say that the performance is any worse than other hosting services I've used.  On the whole though, I've been pretty pleased.  The unlimited databases and domain/subdomains make it a great environment for testing sites. 

The only reason I haven't used Dreamhost more with clients is because of the inane way they've set up email, where you have to remember a username like "m5559686" for each email account.  If I'm going to walk a client through email setup or even let them manage their own accounts, I prefer something a little more intuitive.