Topic: Atlas Web Framework

"Atlas" is a free framework for building a new generation of richer, more interactive, highly personalized standards based Web applications.

http://atlas.asp.net/

Have any of you guys tried this yet? What are your thoughts?

Exercise your faith!

Re: Atlas Web Framework

No I haven't, but anything that'll help with standards in a .NET environment I'm willing to look at.  If no one else has either, I'll try it and let you know...

Gene

...but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.  Joshua 24:15

Well, Atlas can HELP with Standards based .NET apps... but doesn't actually do anything itself towards that end, you still have to use .NET correctly... This is just an AJAX-y framework, right?

Atlas is sweet, we started using it at our University office, but it means you have to work with .NET, which I am currently holding as the bane of my existence.  Not sin, .NET.... that's right... .NET

I think Matt has the right angle on this here.  I haven't used Atlas either, but from what I understand it's merely a framework to help implement AJAX with .NET.  The standards are up to the user.  ASP.NET isn't perfect by any means, but I think the biggest problem is how Visual Studio makes it easier for developers to set control attributes with the properties dialogue box than learning and using CSS.  Look at my site, I haven't made any efforts towards using standards other than using CSS and none of the pages I wrote have any errors or more than 1 warning (except for the FAQ page which I messed up and haven't had a chance to fix).

What is it that don't you like about .NET, Matt?  I'm always curious to learn.  I learned it as I taught myself to develop, so I can use all the perspective I can get.  I know there are a couple problems event with version 2.0, but do think it's a powerful tool when used with common sense.

It's good to see some more conversation in this forum.

I haven't touched anything really .NET related but was just a little curious I guess since at times we use ASP at work. If it was worthwhile then probably I could recommend it to co-workers, but if it's simply just to add AJAX-y effects then maybe they wouldn't need to make the jump to it. Will have to read up a bit more on it and watch some of the videos. Thanks for the info guys.

Exercise your faith!

I saw Atlas in action at the PDC and it still needed a lot of work, imho. However, ScottGu has posted in several places how it's really a lot different since then, so it's getting to the point where I'll probably go back and take a look at it again, especially since they've given it the go ahead for production use. However, I still consider it a moving target, so I personally wouldn't use it for any mission-critical development work. An interesting thing that BillG said at Mix06 was that Atlas is not specific to .NET, which I think means that you could use it in any application that required Ajax functionality.