Topic: CKEditor license

Has anyone used CKEditor? I am trying to understand their Open Source license in regards to for profit. If I understand correctly if I want to use the editor on sites that I create for my clients I need to pay a license. correct?

http://ckeditor.com/license

"...porque Jehová tu Dios estará contigo en dondequiera que vayas." Joshua 1:9

Re: CKEditor license

Hi Helmut,

From what I read on their website, I believe you need to pay for a license. Seems that the $850 license allows CKEditor to be "used inside pages of all web sites owned or produced by your company."

"Change is inevitable, growth is intentional" - Glenda Cloud

Yeah I figured. I wonder if they are going to keep their fckeditor free

"...porque Jehová tu Dios estará contigo en dondequiera que vayas." Joshua 1:9

Seems pretty expensive!  Is it something that it does that something like NotePad++ doesn't?  Or some other free source editor?  Just curious.  Thanks!

This is an old thread, but just so any readers are aware, CKEditor has a triple-opensource licensing to ensure that it can be compatible with just about any license. There is no fee needed for incorporating in a site you develop at a fee for a client! Note that one of the purposes CKEditor has in the licensing arrangement is to make possible:

"Integrating CKEditor in commercial software, taking care of satisfying the Open Source licenses terms, while not able or interested on supporting CKEditor and its development."

Hope that helps!

David Reimer  //  ↪ "If you know the resurrection is coming, it's impossible to be in utter darkness." — Tim Keller ↩