Topic: jQuery vs. Prototype: where's it going?

My very amateur, and impressionistic ... impression is that jQuery is beginning to look like the dominant JS library. Not so long ago, it seemed like a coin-toss (sort of!) between it and Prototype.

Although the Godbit forums have gone a bit quiet, I'm hoping that some of the pro's are still looking in from time to time, and would be willing to venture an opinion on the unscientific observation of jQuery's momentum.

Perhaps a slightly different way of posing the question is this: if you were starting out today to mount a project that required a JS library, which would you go for? why?

Thanks so much for any input on this!

David Reimer  //  ↪ "If you know the resurrection is coming, it's impossible to be in utter darkness." — Tim Keller ↩

Re: jQuery vs. Prototype: where's it going?

David:

You're impression is correct. Prototype, while still a fine library, has been out-paced by jQuery in terms of popularity and (arguably) functionality. If Google Trends is any indicator, interest in jQuery eclipses all the other major libraries combined...

http://www.google.com/trends?q=jquery,+ … tools,+yui

Give me liturgy or give me death.

Thanks for that Nathan! I've hunted around for some "metrics" like that, but couldn't locate anything substantial. That's a real help.

P.s. just looking at it a little longer: fascinating to see the regional variations. Why is YUI so strong in the far East?!

Last edited by DjR (2010-09-29 14:10:40)

David Reimer  //  ↪ "If you know the resurrection is coming, it's impossible to be in utter darkness." — Tim Keller ↩

I'd definitely go for jQuery because it's easy to learn and it's being adopted by so many people. It's easy to find tutorials and get support.

Exercise your faith!