Topic: Unusual Layout: Problems with IE6

Hi guys, I would be super appreciative if someone could help me with a better fix for this layout in IE6. It's a somewhat unusual layout, but it works fine in IE7/FF, and is "semi usable" in IE6, but I'd like to fix that.

Here's a link: http://ainsworthstudio.com/v2a/

As you can see ideally I'd want the two columns to the right to be positioned absolutely, while allowing the whole page to scroll, but the best I've been able to come up with is introducing a scrollbar on each <div> via overflow-y: scroll; in an ie6.css file. And you can see the <div>s still fail to show all content when scrolled to the bottom, because of some weird thing that I'm not sure about.

Anyway, if someone can help me figure this out, my brain has been busted trying to do it on my own, and sometimes a second pair of eyes can spot something quickly and easily. Thanks a bunch! Viva la Godbit forums!

Re: Unusual Layout: Problems with IE6

I apologize, but this doesn't answer the question you asked above. I don't have IE6 available at the moment (though I ask is it to your benefit to spend the time making it usable in IE6?) but I noticed that the black bar in the bottom right with "Web Sites / Graphic Design / Logos etc..." is positioned behind the two columns - is it suppose to be like that because they appear to be clickable links?

Daniel Marino | www.iamdanielmarino.com

Hey Dan, yup, sorry about that, I should take that off. It will be on the home page, but not on the content pages, and I had just left it in there while building the content page alongside the homepage.

I think we need to build for IE6, because many of our potential clients could come from the construction world, where there's a chance they'd be using IE6. Our IE6 %s aren't quite low enough to where we totally want to ignore it… it's _almost_ workable in IE6 as is, but I'd like to find a better solution.

Hi Ben,

Sorry, I haven't been able to come up with a solution for you. But I am checking with some of my other CSS friends, who are much better experts with IE6 than me. Hopefully they will have some insights in the styling.

"Change is inevitable, growth is intentional" - Glenda Cloud

Ben,

I'm getting a script error when I load the page in IE6, with the following message:

An error has occurred on the page. Line 914, Char 4, Object doesn't support this property or method.

My friend sent the following comment:
"Try adding a padding value to the bottom of the divs in the ie style sheet. Personally I would think it would be better to float the divs."

"Change is inevitable, growth is intentional" - Glenda Cloud

Thanks Deborah, I'll look into floats and padding when I get back on that project. Appreciate the help.