Topic: Blog Site Mockup

Hey, I am working on a design for a blog, and would like to have some comments and suggestions on it. All would be greatly appreciated!

Design 1

Last edited by DESTOROYER (2009-03-09 21:03:04)

Re: Blog Site Mockup

If it's for a blog - do you need a sidebar to put cats/archives/feeds, etc.?

Just thinking what you might need to fit into the design!  Love the colors wink

James Cooper --  God loving, banjo playing, geek!

Cats? I'm not running LOLCats here! I was thinking about that, but I am trying to figure out where I could put the sidebar. Hmm, I will work on it some more.

I'd line up the headings and the text, and maybe change the headings or the text to a sans-serif typeface. It just looks rather plain right now. Add some more information like a dates and comment links. I think the different colours are a bit much, maybe change the main body to a different shade of green, and replace the orange text with the blue you currently have for the body. Take a look at some blogs you like and get some insight from the layouts.

I agree with Les

So, I went back completely to the drawing board after I agreed that the design was very plain, and did something I have never ever done before, an atypical layout. I have no idea if I am going to stick with this or not, but for now, this is what I am going to put work into. I still have to add a quite bit more, but I wanted to go ahead and post the layout and see what everyone had to say. The only question I still have is should I have a sidebar or not? Still haven't decided that yet. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions!

Design 2

Last edited by DESTOROYER (2009-03-15 20:18:25)

You know, design 2 is a really interesting concept. I wonder about expandability though, and what would happen as the content grows. Definitely a great start, and probably a workable concept.

I like the concept as well!  For the background to scale, you could use: http://buildinternet.com/2009/02/supers … ry-plugin/

and for even more interactivity, how about making the blocs draggable by jquery?!  Like windows on your desktop - cool!

James Cooper --  God loving, banjo playing, geek!

I was still trying to figure out how to get the background to scale, but I like that jQuery plugin! Only problem is that I am still on mootools 1.1. I want to move to jQuery, but I just haven't had the time to sit down and learn it. I also like the windows being draggable! BTW, the comments will blue stickies and I will be putting the green, yellow, and red buttons on the windows too! Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, and keep em coming!

So, I am trying to figure out how to add a navigation. As of right now, I am thinking about using the top toolbar that TIGER has, not Leopard (don't really like the transparency). Yet, I am worried that this won't be visible enough! Any suggestions?