Topic: Need a little PHP & MySQL understanding

Thanks in advance to everyone before i ask a few questions!,
       I have been endeavoring to learn php and MySQL.   And i have gained a lot of support from this forum! Thanks!  Now i find myself needing to learn some terminology.  First of all;  What exactly is a php framework or what does the framework do?  I assume that it is a cms built by someone, a company or by many developers for the purpose of managing and building a website?  Is this a valid assumption?  Then secondly;  what is an iframe and do most websites use them?  Thirdly;  is a frame the same thing as an iframe and if not; how is it used?  Now with all those questions;  i must impose one more time!  What is a good solid and easy to learn from and build upon cms?  I'm sorry for all these questions and i thank anyone that has the patience to help me in advance!  I'm trying to design and build a pratice website that uses MySQL; php and a cms for learning purposes.  I have not been able to figure out thye best route to take;  so i'm open to as many suggestions as you can throw my way!  I'm trying to get to a point that i can completely take care of the church of *CHRIST* congregation website that i attend!   Thanks for all your help!!!!

Re: Need a little PHP & MySQL understanding

Dwayne -

Dwayne Whitley wrote:

First of all;  What exactly is a php framework or what does the framework do?  I assume that it is a cms built by someone, a company or by many developers for the purpose of managing and building a website?  Is this a valid assumption?

Actually, as I understand it, a PHP framework is a structure designed to ease the process of programming in PHP.  Loading the framework onto your development machine/web server simplifies building an application since it transparently handles database calls, etc.  CodeIgniter is probably the most popular.

A CMS, or Content Management System, can be looked at as a framework, but it's for building websites, not developing applications.  There are literally thousands of them out there and many here can wax eloquent on their favorites - EE, TextPattern, Joomla, Drupal, etc.

Then secondly;  what is an iframe and do most websites use them?  Thirdly;  is a frame the same thing as an iframe and if not; how is it used?

An iframe is the means of embedding content contained in one file inside of a webpage, typically in a manner to allow that content to be scrollable without the entire page scrolling.  It's not search engine or screen reader friendly, though.  Better to have the content within the page itself and render it's block scrollable with CSS.

Now with all those questions;  i must impose one more time!  What is a good solid and easy to learn from and build upon cms?  I'm sorry for all these questions and i thank anyone that has the patience to help me in advance!  I'm trying to design and build a pratice website that uses MySQL; php and a cms for learning purposes.  I have not been able to figure out thye best route to take;  so i'm open to as many suggestions as you can throw my way!  I'm trying to get to a point that i can completely take care of the church of *CHRIST* congregation website that i attend!   Thanks for all your help!!!!

Search the forum here for the many threads already populated with what you seek. smile

That's my 2 cents :^{>

Honored to Serve for Him - Tom ('Mas) Pickering <)><

Re: Need a little PHP & MySQL understanding

Mas,
Once again; many thanks!  I should have know that an iframe is html; duh!  I just have never had to use it,  so when i've read iframe;  i thought that it may be an element used mostly in php.  I like css and would prefer that from what i have used so far and seen used for the look and feel of a site!   I'm so glad to have found such a great group of people who will take a little time and help the newbes such as myself!  And yes i'll definately continue to search the articles in this forum and online!  I think that a lot of times; the simple things such as the way certain elements are refered to has thrown me and i need to learn theses phrases when asking about certain elements; techniques; etc,  etc.!  Once again thank you and have a great and blessed day!!!!
                                             That's my one cent :^{>
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
                                                           The *WORD* to live by:  To live is *CHRIST*; to die is gain!