Topic: Web component for scanning images? (as in Epson scan, not Mcafee scan)

Anyone know if there is a way to scan images directly into a web page? Ideally it would be like a flash object that would talk to the scanner and then post the scanned image as a multipart file through the HTML form.

What I'm looking for is a way for people to be able to scan checks directly into Donor Tools without having to scan the check, save the file, attach the file, upload the file, etc....

There's gotta be a way...

Ryan Heneise  |  Art of Mission  |  Now with extra-strong Donor Tools mojo

Re: Web component for scanning images? (as in Epson scan, not Mcafee scan)

I'm not really adding anything to this, but i think there must be some method to do this because my bank just started to offer the ability to deposit checks online with a scanner - I haven't used it or looked into it though

Daniel Marino | www.iamdanielmarino.com

Yeah I have seen a friend's online bank account that let them do exactly what you're describing. However, off the top of my head I can't remember if they made you scan it to a file on your hard drive, or if the scan went right into a web widget. If you find out how yours works, would you let me know? Thanks!

i looked into it, looks like you scan them onto your computer than upload it

Daniel Marino | www.iamdanielmarino.com

Apparently somebody has a patent for this: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6633913.html

Found one possible solution:

http://asprise.com/product/jsane/index.php (Non-windows)
http://asprise.com/product/jtwain/index.php (Windows)

Hi Ryan,

I am curios to find out if you got a solution for your problem. What I was most intrigued about was in your comment "I'm looking for is a way for people to be able to scan checks directly into Donor Tools without having to scan the check" There has to be a scanner present correct?

Sorry I am trying to wrap my head around your request...

"...porque Jehová tu Dios estará contigo en dondequiera que vayas." Joshua 1:9

The Asprise Jsane and Jtwain plugins (above) are the closest I've found to a solution.

Yeah, in order to scan cheques into Donor Tools they'd have to have a scanner hooked up. The way it might work is this:

1. Open scanner software
2. Scan the cheque
3. Save it as a file
4. Pull up donor record
5. Enter the donation
6. Upload the file as an attachment to the donor record

What I'm hoping to do is avoid step 3 above. I'd like for people to be able to just press "scan" from a Donor Tools web page, and then just scan directly into the web page without having to save it as a file to the hard drive, remember where they put it, and then delete it later.

Ryan -

Check Debits are a better approach.  The company I work for offers that to their online customers, including a 2% discount on shipping for using it as opposed to a credit card.  The customer fills out a form with all the check parameters - routing number, etc. - and we then print the check out using blank check stock by arrangement with the bank.  A scan of a check may or may not be acceptable to a bank, especially when it comes to the scan codes at the bottom.  Just something to consider.

That's my 2 cents :^{>

Honored to Serve for Him - Tom ('Mas) Pickering <)><