Topic: Determining My Hourly Rate for Employers?

Hey gang,

I've been doing work as a donor-supported ministry / missionary since I graduated college three years. Along with my ministry work, I've picked up my odd share of small design jobs, along with a decent amount of design work for various Chi Alpha ministry purposes.

Now, I'm possibly going to be in the fulltime job market (long story), and glancing around Craigslist, I see employers asking for expected hourly rates and salaries and/or past salaries.

How do I go about addressing this? I know all I can do is be up front with my employment history, but at the same time, what should I be looking for in order to not get hosed on my income?

Basically, I don't know what to ask for, and don't know where I can bargain from, seeing as how I've been literally below the poverty line for the past couple years, along with having a highly variable income due to the nature of being 100% donor supported. So, it's got me in a bit of a jam.

Thanks for any suggestions you can make.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr.

Re: Determining My Hourly Rate for Employers?

Will -

Will Phillips wrote:

How do I go about addressing this? I know all I can do is be up front with my employment history, but at the same time, what should I be looking for in order to not get hosed on my income?

Basically, I don't know what to ask for, and don't know where I can bargain from, seeing as how I've been literally below the poverty line for the past couple years, along with having a highly variable income due to the nature of being 100% donor supported. So, it's got me in a bit of a jam.

Since, for all intents and purposes, you have no salary history, it's probably best to approach it from the matter being "negotiable".  Also consider what your needs are at the present time.  For instance, though my wife and I have a successful business, I remain employed full time for the insurance benefits because of medical conditions that would make it nearly impossible for us to get private medical coverage we could afford.

That's my 2 cents :^{>

Honored to Serve for Him - Tom ('Mas) Pickering <)><

Thanks for the suggestions, mas. I'll be sure to work in that "negotiable" bit when (not if) I get an interview.

I gotta admit, I am really, REALLY nervous starting out this job hunt adventure, having never gone through the "traditional" job hunt and interview process.

I think I've got the skills - I know I've got the skills to make this work. The trick will be putting some work into my portfolio and finding a way to show exactly what I did for the past couple of years as a campus minister can translate to working with clients.

Blarg.

A couple of things to keep in mind at the interview.  Hopefully you'll have a chance to research about the company you're interviewing for.  Craft in your mind some value you can offer to their specific situation and needs.  Be sure to ask questions to demonstrate interest and, if possible, get the interviewer talking about him/herself.  Those things establish a rapport with the interviewer and can make you more notable.

That's my 2 cents :^{>

Honored to Serve for Him - Tom ('Mas) Pickering <)><

research what the going rate is, or what you want, and set a realistic price not under pricing yourself either though.

Jesus will return

How do I find the going rate, then?

Use the pizza system.  An hour's work should equal a pizza.  You can of course vary whether it is a plain cheese  or a gourmet super-deluxe. wink

This might be helpful...

http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/

Give me liturgy or give me death.