Topic: php debuggers

I live in both the ASP.NET world and the php world.  One thing I really love about my ASP.NET is my server side debugging capabilities of stepping through the code.

Does anyone know of a way of getting this kind of server side debugging going on a PHP box?  I'm a bit tired of writing "echo" statements as my primary method of debugging.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Re: php debuggers

I know Zend Studio, and PhpED can.  On the free side PHPeclipse can, but as a disclaimer I don't use any of those.  I still just use echo statements, and a text editor.  Hope that helps.

Last edited by ericvp (2008-05-08 19:57:31)

So that begs a question for sure.  Have you tried some of these and found the debugging capabilities to be "not worth it"?   It does not seem that these types of tools have really emerged, and maybe there's good reason for that.

I am cheap, so I haven't tried any of the paid ones.  I don't really like eclipse, because it is such a huge program.  Your question did peak my curiosity, so I found this tutorial on how to make notepad++ become a php debugger.  I used on a project I was working on today, and I have to say it is not half bad.  Not having to put echos in the code was nice.

The only thing I really wish it would do, is render the page progressively as I step through the code.  It only renders the page once all the code is executed. Does ASP.NET render progressively?

How about Xdebug? http://xdebug.org/

Exercise your faith!

ericvp wrote:

The only thing I really wish it would do, is render the page progressively as I step through the code.  It only renders the page once all the code is executed. Does ASP.NET render progressively?

Progressive rendering would be interesting, but ASP.NET does not do that either.. it only allows you to step through the code and then when you finally get past the break point or hit "run" it executes the rest of the page and renders everything at once.

I'm going to check out the link you posted.  Thanks!

Well a bit of thanks.  I did get that Notepad++ step debugging working with xDebug.

Ironically today I also found this in my feeds: http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2008/05/ … s-for-php/

Awesome. Glad you got it working. Let me know how you find xDebug. I've never actually used it before but am giving it some thought. I also saw that link today as well. Gonna check it out.

Exercise your faith!