Topic: Tagged PDFs with Word for Mac

What steps do Mac users follow to create tagged PDFs with Word for Mac? From what I've discovered at work, where we use Macs, there isn't a way to create tagged PDFs within Word for Mac. I believe the only option is to manually add the tags after the PDF has been created. Is that correct, or have I missed something?

The past few months I've been learning about creating PDFs, and have discovered a difference between producing PDFs with Word on the PC and Mac. At work, we use Macs, while at home I'm always using a PC.

With Office 2007 and Acrobat Professional 8 installed on my PCs at home, I can easily create tagged PDFs with the "Save As PDF" menu option, Acrobat > Create PDF option, or by adding the "Save as PDF" icon to the Quick Access Toolbar.

Updating the Word 2007 conversion settings to Add Links, Add Bookmarks, and Enable Accessibility and Reflow with tagged PDF allows me to quickly add many accessibility features to a PDF. The Mac doesn't provide any option to modify conversion settings, and any PDF I create from Word for Mac is not tagged, which is essential to the accessibilty of a PDF file.

"Change is inevitable, growth is intentional" - Glenda Cloud

Re: Tagged PDFs with Word for Mac

Exactly what kind of tags are you wanting to add?

I know that in every mac program, you have the option to print it to a PDF (without needing acrobat).  File > Print  select PDF > save as PDF and then you get options for "title," "author," "subject," and "keywords."

(perhaps we also need a software forum as well? - there's no where proper to really put questions like this at)

Last edited by C.Barr (2008-05-03 10:37:40)

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the confusion about tags. Here's some clarification. Tags in PDF files are similar to HTML elements, in that they define the structure of a PDF file, as well as information about its reading order. Tags don't affect the appearance of the PDF file. They are fundamental to creating accessible PDF files, and essential to meeting Section 508 compliance.  If you're interested in a short read on tagging, check out this post by Duff Johnson on PDFs and Section 508.

A tagged PDF:
  1. makes the document accessible to a user with disabilities, whether a user with visual disabilities, cognitive disabilities, motor disabilities, hearing disablities, etc.
  2. gives a logical reading order for content
  3. provides images with alternate text
  4. tags tables correctly to display their structure
  5. allows the content to reflow, which means the page is redrawn to fit the width of the window

To prepare a Word document to be properly tagged before converting to PDF, you would use headings, numbered lists, bulleted lists, alternative text for images, and other structural tags rather than modifying the content directly with the bold button, or changing the font size of a heading directly.

The File options you mention above (title, author, subject, keywords) are part of the properties for the PDF file, but are not part of what is considered the "tags" of the PDF. To see if a PDF created from a Mac has been tagged, go to File > Properties and select the Description tab. Look at the bottom for the Advanced section; the last item in the Advanced section will be Tagged PDF. For all the PDFs I've created in Word for Mac, using the Print > Save as PDF or the Create Acrobat PDF icon, the PDFs produced have not been tagged.

From what I've seen with all the PDFs I've produced from Word for Mac,  there is no option to produce a tagged PDF since the conversion setting options are not available. I'm trying to discover what options exist, if any, for Mac users to create tagged PDFs from Word for Mac.

Ah ok, I had no idea that was even possible!  So that means, no, I can't help you here, haha.

Deborah -- I don't have MS Office 2008 for Mac, but I believe NeoOffice can create tagged PDF files...

http://neooffice.org/

I use NeoOffice on OSX, and tend to like it better than MS Office 2004. Plus, it doesn't cost anything!

Give me liturgy or give me death.

Thanks Nathan. I had never heard of NeoOffice; I visited their site and it looks like they do support tagged PDFs.

Just curious, have you ever created, or do you know anyone who has created tagged PDFs with NeoOffice? I searched their forums, and discovered some issues in the past with creating tagged PDFs, but they seem to have resolved all the issues.

I'm still curious whether there are any options within Word for Mac, whether 2004 or 2008, to create tagged PDFs. It's possible I overlooked something in my search for solutions.

Deborah: Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with tagged PDFs. I had just heard that NeoOffice was capable of it.

Give me liturgy or give me death.

Nathan,

Thanks. I'll check it out tomorrow at work on  the Mac. I'm wondering how NeoOffice will handle structured files created from Word for Windows/Mac, and how the tagged PDF will compare to one created with Word for Windows and Acrobat.