Topic: PHP on MAC

Hey Godbitters

I have a mac sitting in my office that is just used for video work but it has a nice big screen so I'm thinking about doing some web stuff on it. Rather than spend hours getting everything working i thought i would seek some advice as their seem to be lots of mac users on the forum.

Does php work well on the mac?
Can any one recommend a free html/css/php ide?
Any pitfalls I may fall into?
Any tips/hints?

Thanks in advance

Richard

Re: PHP on MAC

Yes, you can run PHP on your Mac. Give MAMP a try (the latest version requires OS X 10.4.x or greater).

Last edited by opus (2008-04-10 07:53:07)

I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come...

I second the vote for MAMP. I use MAMP Pro for all my localhost PHP testing.

Give me liturgy or give me death.

MAMP is the way to go.  Easy to set up and run.  I've done a lot of development locally with it.

Vote numero tres for MAMP.

Wow just got MAMP installed, a wordpress demo going and the demo put into a site within coda in 5 mins! That's almost scary...

James Cooper --  God loving, banjo playing, geek!

It even works for WAMP. wink

David Reimer  //  ↪ "If you know the resurrection is coming, it's impossible to be in utter darkness." — Tim Keller ↩

I know on Leopard and I believe Tiger also already has PHP and Apache installed. Leopard has mysql and for Tiger, there is a mysql.dmg that is a snap to install. I personally hate having more than 1 install of something on my machine. Apache = /etc/apache2, php.ini = /etc/php.ini.

Really, for mac's you don't really need to install anything more than mysql (on tiger).

Robert Evans wrote:

I know on Leopard and I believe Tiger also already has PHP and Apache installed. Leopard has mysql and for Tiger, there is a mysql.dmg that is a snap to install. I personally hate having more than 1 install of something on my machine. Apache = /etc/apache2, php.ini = /etc/php.ini.

Really, for mac's you don't really need to install anything more than mysql (on tiger).

accept that the default installs generally aren't up to date and if you are running the latest PHP on your live server it may not work perfectly. There are several things in the PHP 5.2 branch that we use. Plus MAMP makes setting up extensions for PHP and Apache really easy without modifying the text files directly. Saves a bit of time i guess.

I dream with an XML intereface

Leopard comes installed with Apache 2.2.6 and PHP 5.2.4 which is awesome. So, if you're running leopard, I don't think you'll run into those problems.

Robert Evans wrote:

Leopard comes installed with Apache 2.2.6 and PHP 5.2.4 which is awesome. So, if you're running leopard, I don't think you'll run into those problems.

True. That's cool that it ships with 5.2. Wasn't aware of that.

I dream with an XML intereface