Topic: Christian software development community

Hello all.  It has been a while since I posted regularly (OK, I never really posted that much).  Since writing my intro a couple of years ago, I have changed career paths and I am more of a corporate software developer than a web developer.

To get to the point, I like the idea of Godbit and I like the community, but the technical focus not is as relevant to me as it was a couple of years ago.  It seems to me that the type of Christian community for web designers and developers here at Godbit is somewhat lacking in the rest of the software development world.

I have been thinking and praying about this and I feel that God is calling me to help build the community of Christian software developers.  Is anyone aware of a Christian software development community?  I have done some searching and I really can't find anything.  Also, any advice on getting something like this started?

Thanks,
Eric

Re: Christian software development community

I don't know of any, but I think the simplest solution would to simply add additional forums to this message board.  One section for web development, and another for software development.  I know this wasn't was Godbit was founded for, and it's certainly something I would have no interest in since all I do is web development, but it just makes sense to me.

I agree - there are lots of devs already on Godbit, and it is an existing, thriving community. Your best bet would probably be to get involved here and cultivate some discussions.

Ryan Heneise  |  Art of Mission  |  Now with extra-strong Donor Tools mojo

Godbit has an existing readership and I am sure you are not the only Christian software developer to stop by here. If you created a "new" forum, you'll need to generate the traffic and such, which Godbit already has and you could help cultivate here.

If we had another category of software development, what sub-categories are you thinking about wanting? (c++, RAD, java, etc)

Interesting idea.  I looked for something like this a few weeks ago but could not find anything.  I think it would be a fantastic idea to add a software development portion of godbit!

Thanks for the replies.  I was a little concerned that software development may be too far away from Godbit's mission, but if you all are up for it then I think it is an awesome idea!

As far as categories go, one thing that I would really like to see is software development practices / software design (it would need a better name).  It would be a place to discuss things like Object Oriented Programming, Design Patterns, Architecture, Test Driven Development, etc.  Most of these things are language neutral to some degree.

Language specific categories make sense as well although I'm not sure which ones to include to start with. I work mostly in C# so as far as languages go, that is the area where I could contribute the most.

When I brought up this idea, I really had two main goals:
1.  Bring together Christian developers so that we can get to know each other and support each other.
2.  Learn, share, and promote good software development practices.

Any other developers on Godbit want to chime in with things they would like to see?

Thanks for the advice and the support!

Although I'm more of a web developer rather than software developer, my degree was still in software development and I would be interested in a software side of Godbit. I would also like to see an are focused on OOP, patterns, and architecture. I think that those areas are critical to every developer in any language and can even be applied to web development.

I mainly use C# to, though I'm still pretty amateur. I'd be happy to pitch in though with whatever I can.

Last edited by michael (2007-12-04 18:11:37)

tke395, i think you're on the right track in terms of the category; it sort of the way that the web design/development boards are structured right now.  Who would we need to contact to get this going?

michael - I think there is some overlap between "web development" and "software development".  They are both very broad terms.  I also agree that good development and design practices are important regardless of the environment or language.

cdupuis - I'm not sure.  I figured I would worry about that once I had a firm idea of what we wanted to add.  What categories would you be most interested in seeing?

Thanks,
Eric

It looks like the discussion is starting to slow down a bit.  I will take the feedback that I have gotten here and put together a proposal to add a software development section to the Godbit forum.  I will post it to a new thread so that everyone can provide feedback.

Thanks,
Eric

Eric: I can add those sections to the forum, just let me know more solidly what topics you'd be interested in. (Not being a software programmer myself, I'm not sure, so you guys tell me.)

Give me liturgy or give me death.

tke395 wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  I was a little concerned that software development may be too far away from Godbit's mission, but if you all are up for it then I think it is an awesome idea!

As far as categories go, one thing that I would really like to see is software development practices / software design (it would need a better name).  It would be a place to discuss things like Object Oriented Programming, Design Patterns, Architecture, Test Driven Development, etc.  Most of these things are language neutral to some degree.

Language specific categories make sense as well although I'm not sure which ones to include to start with. I work mostly in C# so as far as languages go, that is the area where I could contribute the most.

When I brought up this idea, I really had two main goals:
1.  Bring together Christian developers so that we can get to know each other and support each other.
2.  Learn, share, and promote good software development practices.

Any other developers on Godbit want to chime in with things they would like to see?

Thanks for the advice and the support!

A lot of these things you are talking about aren't just specific to "desktop" software development, but also apply to "web" software development. I think there is an unnecessary difference, that is commonly made, between the two, when talking about concepts such as OOP, Design Patterns, Architecture, TDD and BDD.

I'm a web programmer, but I implement and use OOP, Design Patterns, TDD, and BDD all the time. Ruby is a pure OOP language; I use various patterns such as Active Record, Model-View-Controller, DataMapper, Observer, Factory Method, Lazy Initialization, Singleton, Decorator, and many others; I use xUnit for Test Driven Development, although I mostly am doing Behavior Driven Development these days.

Also, I've been doing some Extreme Programming, I'm always following a lot of the Agile methodologies. These concepts are not foreign to web developers, but rather common software development practices, which web development follows under.  Whether it is web or desktop development, you can't really get away from these things, if you take your craft seriously. So, I for one, would be happy to have Gb expanded to specifically touch on these topics.

Robert: Need there be specific areas of the forum for OOP, Design Patterns, Architecture, TDD and BDD? Don't these naturally work themselves into conversation within the context of where they're being applied? For instance: Ruby, PHP, JavaScript, Design, etc.

Give me liturgy or give me death.

Nathan Smith wrote:

Robert: Need there be specific areas of the forum for OOP, Design Patterns, Architecture, TDD and BDD? Don't these naturally work themselves into conversation within the context of where they're being applied? For instance: Ruby, PHP, JavaScript, Design, etc.

Yeah, they do, but I think Eric was hoping for some areas where those topics can be discussed specifically. An example would be: talking in depth on ORM models, such as ActiveRecord and Datamapper and why you would use one over the other etc. Or if you were refactoring your code base, what pattern or patterns would be best suited for this piece of code.

You can really talk extensively about any of the topics above. Martin Fowler has a book series on a lot of these subjects. There's varying differences between a TDD and a BDD approach to coding, that at some points, can be quite different.

So yeah, you can talk about all of the above within the context of a language, but you can also talk about all of the above without the context of a language and get very in depth on the practices, thoughts, benefits of each. Personally I think, you could just add something like "Development Practices" under instead of creating a new area - at least for now anyways.

Robert: I think you summed it up pretty well.

I actually do very little desktop software development.  I work mostly with middle tier and data tier stuff.  Most of my projects have a web, windows service, or web service front end, but that is usually a small portion of the project.  The bulk of the work is business logic and legacy integration.  On top of that, the html, images, and css usually get handed down from a corporate design group. 

When I used the term software development, I was trying to refer to those things that you are talking about which are at the core of all development projects.  Admittedly, I was not very clear about this and you actually summed up my thoughts very well.

I think it is sufficient to start with a "Development Practices" category and grow from there, especially if it is acceptable to post general topics to the existing forums.  For example if I wanted to discuss anonymous delegates or generics in C#, then I could post this to the .net board.

It may eventually warrant other categories or even a new section, but I don't think we're there yet.

Thanks guys.  I think we've just about got it nailed down.  Anyone else have any suggestions or comments?

Hi all,

The last couple of months have been pretty rough due to some health issues and I have dropped the ball on this.  I've spent most of my free time in physical therapy trying to get my back straightened out.  I'm starting to make some progress and hope to get back to a "normal" schedule soon where I'll have some time to contribute here.  Sorry for the lack of communication on my part...

Eric