Topic: Select Box and Site Navigation

I'm working on a site that will (eventually) have pages for all 50 states.  We are in the planning stages of a re-design right now, and I'm curious as to how accessible a select box would be for the main navigation to each page.  SEO is also a huge concern.

I've used lists for all navigation in the past, and I'd prefer to use a list, but I'm not sure how to incorporate it without it being painfully long (50 elements) or unusable.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Select Box and Site Navigation

It would have to be painfully slow unless your visitor is very handy with their assistive program. What's so hard about typing two letters? "AZ" I know thats not often done, but I think its a code cliche. In firefox I have to pres "o" three times to get OR. Thats one more keystroke than typing OR. Every time I program a dropdown list for states I feel silly.

Thats my thoughts.

Last edited by Leovenous (2008-04-07 10:27:09)

"Bear 270, young man. Bear two, seven, zero, over." - Musings of a flight simulator guru, me.

Now that I've been thinking about it more, I might be able to accomplish what I want with a multi-columned list...

Luke -

It's easier on the user to just type in 2 letters while you validate it to a proper state on the back end.  The convention, however, is for the select with the proper states so that the user is forced to comply with a proper choice.  All depends on who you're taking care of. smile

That's my 2 cents :^{>

Honored to Serve for Him - Tom ('Mas) Pickering <)><

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the input.