Topic: Printing Overprint / Knockout

Hey guys, this is copied out of an email I sent to someone (who I haven't heard back from), so I hope it makes sense.

"Let's say I have a masked .psd file placed in InDesign with some text around it that is text-wrapped by finding edges. I then export the .indd file to a .pdf and it gets printed from there. The text that's within (or "over") the bounding box of that image gets printed at a heavier weight than any text that's outside of it. This doesn't appear in the .pdf, only the physical printed copy.

Some research led me to think this is an overprint or knockout issue, but I'm wondering if there's an easy fix. Do I just have to select that text box and check the "Knockout" box in the Transparency palette? From what I understand, overprint prints the black over whatever is underneath it, while knockout essentially just prints the black, and ignores anything else that might have been layered under it."

Anyone have any experience with this?

Re: Printing Overprint / Knockout

My only guess is that it's a font problem somehow.  Perhaps the printer is misinterpreting the font?  I know you can convert fonts to outlines/shapes in Illustrator, but I'm not sure if InDesign can do that.  If so, try it, but I'm not sure where that option would be.

Thanks Chris. I have my doubts if that's the problem, because it's just Myriad. It definitely seems like the printer tried to rasterize the text that is placed over the bounding box for the image. Could try converting the font to a shape if it came down to it, though you're right, I don't think InDesign can, so we'd have to place from Illustrator.

How did you pdf the file from InDesign? If you just used the export built into the program, that may have caused some problems with your fonts and images. You need to run a Post Script of the file through Distiller in order to avoid those kinds of problems.

Hrm, thanks Carl. I'll have to give that a shot tomorrow. I know that we Exported, because Printing (and choosing PDF as the Printer) caused all the text to be Courier and do some strange stuff.

Yeah, I have clients who try to make PDFs on their own all the time to send things to me and it always ends up being more trouble then it's worth. I always run distiller; it just runs in the background and then you can create in and out boxes for it to monitor. I really recommend it if you are ever getting things printed.

Seems to me we have/use Distiller, but I'm not sure exactly what it does, I thought it was just used to generate the PDFs. But I'll look into it more tomorrow hopefully. Thanks for the help Carl.

Perhaps try saving it as a high resolution TIFF file instead, less chance of anything getting messed up with that during printing.

To have vector (font) print as vector and not raster (what happens when it's inside the bounding box of the picture, that's why it looks differently when printed) you have to place the type on the topmost layer of your Indesign file.
Regards
Vera