Topic: Ruby on Rails book free as PDF download

Sitepoint is offering their Build Your Own Ruby on Rails Applications book free as a PDF download for 60 days. The book was written by Patrick Lenz, published in Jan 2007.

"Change is inevitable, growth is intentional" - Glenda Cloud

Re: Ruby on Rails book free as PDF download

Thanks for the link!

I wonder why they're giving it away...

Ryan Heneise  |  Art of Mission  |  Now with extra-strong Donor Tools mojo

Good question. I'm not sure either.

Hey Deborah

Since you posted first I think it's only fair that your post stay and mine be removed. I have also moved your post to the RoR forum so not worry, everything is now in order. smile

As for why they are giving it away...I wondered the same thing. Maybe they are coming out with a Second Edition.

Exercise your faith!

Hi Yannick,

No problem. It seems the book was very popular today, and several people reported difficulty downloading it, likely due to the number of requests. Regarding why it's free, here's something they added later today (I didn't see it earlier this morning, but it's possible I missed it!):

Matt Mickiewicz wrote:

* You’re this far down the page and haven’t already skipped away to download, so I take it you’re looking for the catch, the fine print, or the terms and conditions that may apply. Sorry, but there aren’t any! This offer is as amazing as it seems — a free download of a print-quality book. End of story. Remember: it’s 60 days of Rails madness, not 61, so don’t miss out! But if you really want to give us something in return, donations of premium alcoholic beverages, schwag, and gadgets will be kindly accepted.

Perhaps sitepoint isn't doing as well selling their books as other publishing houses are doing with their Ruby books. Maybe this will help them gain some "goodwill" which may bring them more customers in the future. I dunno, I'm just speculating.

hehe you're right Deborah the book seems to have been a very popular download. SitePoint had to switch to Amazon S3 in order to handle the demand. smile

@Robert: That would have been my second guess. tongue

Exercise your faith!

Or they're gathering e-mail addresses. I mean if Ruby really becomes a big deal in the years to come that e-mail list would be rather valuable.

"Bear 270, young man. Bear two, seven, zero, over." - Musings of a flight simulator guru, me.

Yannick Lyn Fatt wrote:

hehe you're right Deborah the book seems to have been a very popular download. SitePoint had to switch to Amazon S3 in order to handle the demand. smile

Hold the phone. That might explain why my download got to 92% and stopped. Now they are only offering 4 chapters of the book!

Grrrrr....

"Bear 270, young man. Bear two, seven, zero, over." - Musings of a flight simulator guru, me.

Leovenous wrote:
Yannick Lyn Fatt wrote:

Hold the phone. That might explain why my download got to 92% and stopped. Now they are only offering 4 chapters of the book!

Grrrrr....

Leovenous: No I don't think so. I had that problem initially and suspect that maybe there was a stray link somewhere serving up the wrong version. Try it again and see if you get the full book.

Exercise your faith!

12 days left on this one, and I just noticed! There is something a trifle odd about it. The book does indeed seem complete. (Chapter 12, the last chapter, says "In this final chapter etc." in the summary. And the link says "...a COMPLETE COPY of Patrick Lenz's Ruby on Rails beginners' book is free to download." But in the PDF itself, as the footer on odd pages, it says "Order the print version of this book to get all 700+ pages!"

So is it complete or not complete?! Still, it remains *excellent* "value for money"!!

David Reimer  //  ↪ "If you know the resurrection is coming, it's impossible to be in utter darkness." — Tim Keller ↩