Topic: StaffTool

I found two videos today about this new Web-based Church management tool. It's built with Ruby on Rails and looks like it could be pretty good for churches to use. Here are links to the site and the two videos:

http://www.stafftool.com (might be down)
http://stafftool.120db.com/demo.mov
http://podcast.sdruby.com/podcasts/018_stafftool.m4v

Exercise your faith!

Re: StaffTool

Hi Yannick. I'm the guy building stafftool who you saw in that sd.rb video. I really need to build a page to go onto www.stafftool.com with the video and screenshots and email list...planning on getting that up this week now that people are starting to find out about it. Also, the video in the second link is very old, it's undergone a complete back end refactoring since then to be RESTful and on edge rails, which enabled a whole world of functionality (REST api, lots of different formats supported for import and export, etc.) - this also enabled the capability to use ActiveResource to build a public facing site for thew churches using all the info in the management area, so there's no duplication of information.

So, if you guys have any questions about stafftool, feel free to ask me here or email me at toby [at] stafftool [dot] com. Also, if anyone's interested in beta testing for their church please let me know and I'll be sure to notify you when it's ready. I'll probably set up a demo account soon as well. I have a few more things to finish on the site before it will be ready for testing, but I'm trying to have it ready within the next couple months, at least in time for RailsConf in May. I have a lot of stuff planned for it, but I'm trying to limit them for now so I can launch soon and then add them after...this has been developed completely in my spare time, so I have to plan accordingly smile

check out stafftool.com - beautiful web-based church management

Toby's stuff is good stuff. I was fortunate enough to meet him (not face to face) when I was offered a position where he is/was freelancing. Staff tools is a really nice looking system. Still waiting for my demo account.... tongue

Heh, hey Robert, thanks for the kind words smile I'll be setting up a demo account here soon, probably set one up at godbit.stafftool.com so people here can check it out and let me know what they think. I'll post here when that's up and running.

Very nice ap! Something that is very needed among churches, I know we could have benefited from it when we launched our church. We are currently building a volunteer management tool (however not in RoR) that is surprisingly very similar in style/function. As RoR (really alot of newer) aps continue to grow in popularity they continue to keep the same core functionality from a UI perspective, which is awesome for all our end users. I think you've done an awesome job at taking those core UI components are really make them pop. Def interested in demo'ing the ap.

I dream with an XML intereface

Toby,
That looks to be a really useful app. Will email you re: beta testing, and will look forward to the demo version.

Cheers

Last edited by NeilA (2007-03-05 23:16:24)

NeilA.   Blue Mountains, Oz  - http://westserve.org - Blog, Christianity, Tech stuff

Thanks guys. I just put up the barest-of-bones possible page right now with the signup form - like I said, I'm working on a revised video and information site this week, but you can at least sign up right now.

Hehe Toby,

That is certainly the barest-of-bones. smile I didn't realise the video was an old one, but I still thought it was nice to see a little of what went into making it and it gave a brief look at what the application was all about, so that was good.

I think it would be great to have a little demo site for people to check out and I'm sure many Godbit users would love to give a test to see if it could be used for their church.

Looking forward to seeing the revised video also.

Keep up the good work. Peace and God bless.

Exercise your faith!

Hey Yannick. Ah, actually I meant the second link (not the second video), the "screencast" style one, is really old. The one from sd.rb is pretty recent and goes over a lot of the RESTful stuff I did in the refactoring and the vcard stuff. I want to do an actual screencast that is informative with a voiceover or text script showing what each section does, but that's down the line - I need to get a decent signup page first smile

I've set up a godbit.stafftool.com demo account - I just want to go through and make sure there aren't any glaring issues (besides the fact that it's not finished yet) before I post the username and pass. stay tuned!

very cool. How long have you been working on the project?

I dream with an XML intereface

i've been working on it for around a year now. it's been all in my spare time, so it's taken a long time, not to mention the fact that I had it almost done at one point, then scrapped the whole thing and started from scratch to user edge rails and support REST.

Hello Toby, I need to try stafftool too... I already using InfoCentral (php, mysql)... Thanks...

"As we grow in faith, our prayers will become less of a wish list and more of an intimate conversation with Lord."

Hey guys...I've been super busy with client work over the last week or so, so I haven't had a chance to work on Stafftool at all...I'm going to try to get the sample site up and running soon, so I'll be sure to post here. Also, I'm noticing a lot of international interest, so I'm going to have to make sure everything is friendly to those not in the US too smile

vikingkarwur wrote:

Hello Toby, I need to try stafftool too... I already using InfoCentral (php, mysql)... Thanks...

...And isn't InfoCentral an irritating tool!

Yeah, Toby, make sure that Stafftool IS non-U.S. friendly!  ;-)

NeilA.   Blue Mountains, Oz  - http://westserve.org - Blog, Christianity, Tech stuff

Hey everyone. So, after a) moving to San Francisco, b) starting a new job up here, and c) the birth of my first baby a month ago, Stafftool is back on my plate! I've recently been working to tie up a lot of the loose ends that remain on what I want in the first launch. The dashboard page is now working pretty well, rudimentary messaging support is there, more permissions-based functionality is in, etc. So, event though it's not feature complete and bug-free, I've set up the Godbit demo account for you guys to play with. Any of you guys who want to log in to check it out, please email your vCard to toby [at] stafftool [dot] com and I'll import you into the account and send you some log in credentials.

There's one minor roadblock though... to make the most sense, I'd give everyone staff member credentials so you could actually create people, events, etc...but that might get a bit weird since you'd be able to see and edit everyone elses' info (it stores addresses, phone numbers, etc)...this is fine in a real church situation where the whole point is that staff members would be able to view and edit everything, but for open demo purposes not so much. If we all trust each other enough here, then it should be fine, but if you don't think this is a good idea let me know on here and we'll try to figure something out.

Also, I set up a Twitter account to push out deployment notices and stuff like that, so if you're interested in following that, add Stafftool to your twitter account and I'll accept your request to follow. I also have a Lighthouse account set up for bug tracking and feature requests...there's a "Send feedback" link in the upper right of all Stafftool pages, so any feedback, bug reports, feature requests, etc can be logged there.

Thanks!

takeo:

Congrats on the move, starting the new job and the birth of your little one. May the Lord continue to bless you.

Thanks for the update on StaffTool, I'll send be sending you and email. smile

Exercise your faith!

Hey all, I've made a lot of progress on Stafftool over the last week or so, and I've implemented an invitation system, so anyone who wants to try out Stafftool with your own account, ping me at toby [at] stafftool [dot] com and I'll send you an invite right away!

Hey all, I also just uploaded a new rough screencast video of the current Stafftool. There's no talking over it yet, and the resizing made it look pretty rough, but it'll give you an idea what's going on with Stafftool these days. Check it out here.