Topic: Do we need a job thread?

I wasn't sure where to post this...so I put it here, the most logical place I could think of.
I'm meeting with a potential client next week to discuss his redesign. I don't think I'm going to take the job. It's written in ASP, which I don't know. I could make do with a PHP site, but I don't even currently host any sites on Windows servers. I feel that taking this job would be pretending to be something I'm not and wouldn't serve the client's needs. I want to be able to refer him to someone more capable of doing great work for him. Is this in any way a place we should post referrals, or should we take them all to PM and ask around?

We're all looking forward to the future...but none of us more than the giant, evil robots.

Re: Do we need a job thread?

I think a job thread would be highly appropriate.

I think a separate job LISTING is more appropriate ... and eventually a dedicated portion of the website. Something like this would also facilitate some of the mentioned goals for Godbit's users to get more freelance jobs.

generalhavok: As for the potential client you're meeting with, do your best to convince them to migrate before you refer them off. I mean, if they DID switch, they'd get twice the benefit: A better platform and you to redesign their site. wink

What's involved?  I've done a decent bit with ASP and am in the process of setting up windows hosting.

Honestly, you're probably just as well off talking to them about a PHP site.  One of the first things I would do is tell them to switch to ASP.NET.  It's not a perfect environment, but far better than ASP and the upgrade probably isn't far from switching to PHP.

The site is www.otm.org. You might look at it and see that they're attempting to make a very interactive site...which is why I'm hesitant to suggest that they switch to php (they're invested in their current codeset) and that I'm their man (I don't write php all that well - I can only implement it). I'm scheduled to meet with the founder tomorrow, and would like to let him know that I've found him two or three candidates with 'mad skillz' who can code his site better than I could.

If you're interested in reworking his site and extending its functionality, feel free to contact me. I'm a decent designer (as far as I can tell) and I write pretty clean XHTML + CSS...so we could work out a collaboration of sorts, if someone knows the code but isn't comfy with the design work. They're looking for a redesign (implementing new graphics and branding), code cleanup, and new functions to be announced.

Thanks in advance!

Tony
www.StraightStreetDesign.com

We're all looking forward to the future...but none of us more than the giant, evil robots.