Topic: Todd Dominey resigns

http://whatdoiknow.org/archives/003013.shtml

Todd Dominey, creator of SlideShowPro has resigned from Turner Interactive (CNN, etc) to work full time on his product. This can only mean good things for those of us who use SSP. In a way, it's the same type of success story that Shaun Inman had with Mint, working full time on one product.

Give me liturgy or give me death.

Re: Todd Dominey resigns

Oh. I never knew he worked for Turner... lol

Ninjas and pirates both agree: cowboys suck.

He did some pretty good work for Turner. I certainly wish him all the best and look forward to seeing what he does next with SSP.

Exercise your faith!

it *almost* surprises me how long it took him to go full time with SlideShowPro. who knows if it could have happened sooner or not, but when I'm dreaming about creating the next big web app or tool, the time it takes my business to be fully supporting financially is in months. SlideShowPro seems to be very popular, and yet it's a good reminder to me that it takes time to develop sustainable sales of a product at $25 a pop.

Nathan,  as an aside -- I am interested in developing a site or two with SSP but I don't currently own a Flash IDE.  Over a week ago, I emailed Mr. Dominey asking for advice on the lowest-cost development environment for SSP.  I have yet to hear back from him.  Perhaps this community can help answer my qeustion: What IDE do you recommend to someone who does not own a Flash IDE (yet lists ActionScript on his resume -- oh the irony!) and wants to develop a site with SSP?  Who has the best prices?  I'm looking for the lowest cost of legally and ethically obtained software.  No, I'm not a student.

Edit: oh yeah --  on Vista.

Last edited by Carl Camera (2007-03-16 09:05:04)

Content Management with Standards In Mind: Vine Type | www.vinetype.com

* cough * <shuffles feet>

Carl: Sorry, I completely missed your question. Aside from the "real" Flash, I'm not aware of any other IDEs.

Good question Carl. I haven't heard of anything else out there, other than the Adobe Flash software.

Exercise your faith!

what the heck is a Flash IDE?

I dream with an XML intereface

It's a program that allows you to edit the proprietary flash .fla files. It also allows you to export .swf files fo ruse on the web.

Usually you can find an older copy of flash on pricegrabber or ebay.

If you'd rather not use flash to edit a slideshow program, you might want to try mono slideshow http://www.monoslideshow.com/
where everything is configurable via an xml file.

Last edited by ajp (2007-03-20 17:32:04)

Thanks everyone I suspected this was the case.  Tank, sorry for the very programmer-ish IDE acronym.  It stands for Interactive Development Environment. 

I've seen older versions on ebay but those owners may have upgraded (and you can't verify whether or not they did or did not) so I feel weird from an ethical standpoint about purchasing the product through ebay.  I'm more inclined to go the pricegrabber route at this point.  Thanks again.

Carl: Yeah, it only works with the real version of Flash, because the SlideShowPro download is an extension, not an *.fla file.

Carl - Small world, it's Brad Daily from ye old CMN smile

I work with Todd on SlideShowPro Director, the PHP/MySQL backend for SlideShowPro. Anyway, one thing we always remind people is that Adobe offers a free, fully functional 30 day trial for Flash. So, if it is hard to justify the cost without some practical experience using the software, you can give it a try for a month and see of how it goes (and even use SSP with it smile ).

Brad Daily | Developer, SlideShowPro Director | http://slideshowpro.net

Brad, Wow -- I completely glossed over your name (sorry-about-that) in Todd's article.  Yes, small world.  I'll be looking into this over the next few months. Congratulations on your partnership -- can we expect to see you at next year's SXSW ??  smile

Last edited by Carl Camera (2007-03-28 05:08:14)

I still don't own Flash, and aside from being able to use SlideShowPro, wouldn't want to.

The SlideShowPro Director seems to have a description that hints at being able to do things automatically, but I guess it's too much to hope that it enables slideshow creation without Flash (or Lightroom)?

"I was blind, but now I see!"  John 9:25