Topic: Flash question...where does that line come from?

I've never before implemented Flash elements in a page...none of my clients have called for it, to be honest. I've converted an animated GIF to Flash and put it in a page in development. I have two reasons for coming to you guys:

1. I need to know whether any of you have any trouble viewing the element, whether the page is broken in any way, etc.

2. I need to know why, when the Flash is finished (it doesn't loop) there's a white line on the right side of the div it's in. It doesn't appear until the movie is done. I've seen images display a line when there are line breaks in the HTML, so I pulled the code together with no success.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

We're all looking forward to the future...but none of us more than the giant, evil robots.

Re: Flash question...where does that line come from?

I'm not sure about the white line, but I'm curious as to why you didn't just make this a GIF to begin with, and just have it stop after reaching the final frame. It seems a bit superfluous to do a GIF, then Flash. Maybe I'm just missing something here.

Give me liturgy or give me death.

Good question.

1. The aniGIF is 318.2 kb and the SWF is 287.3 kb, so I saved a small bit of bandwidth.
2. The client wanted it in Flash.
3. I haven't done much with Flash, and considered it an easy way to get back into the process.

I wish I could give an entirely logical reason that makes everyone say "Wow. Of course it should be in Flash"...but sometimes it comes down to whether you sign your checks on the front, or on the back. smile

We're all looking forward to the future...but none of us more than the giant, evil robots.

Sounds like a case of a client buying into a buzz-word, and not knowing why.

I think that would make a greate Flash piece, but it probably needs to be totally redone.  Acouple of things that would help:
- If the text weren't part of the image, but rather were actual text, it would look a lot nicer.
- If you used one background under the text, the flash movie would be a lot smaller.
- You could do a disolve between images and that would look really sharp.

Back to your original question. I think I'd need to look at the flash source to know where that extra line is coming from.

Yep, adding the text in Flash and using the same background for the text area will dramatically reduce your filesize.  Also, if you are able to, I would save out all of your images as png's because Flash does an amazing job at compressing png's.  I used to use jpg's and gif's and then the occasional png when I wanted something with transparency plus using Photoshop to handle my compression, but I've found that Flash excels at png compression and I've been able to achieve great filesize results by going this route.  You can alter the compression level for each image as well or for all images together in Flash, so play with that too.

Kob: That's a new one on me about the PNG's. I learn something new everyday!

Cool, glad that helped.  The key to this though is that PNG's with alpha channels still produce pretty large filesizes, so those need to be used sparingly, but any other PNG without an alpha channel compresses down like a champ.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll be playing with it to see how much smaller it could be, and if I can remember, I'll post the difference here.