Topic: What to do with old material residing on the clients server?

So there's the old site content still left on the server as you design the new site structure on the clients server. Do you just chuck the old stuff in a backup folder? Wouldn't this result in a bunch 404's from search engines? EVen worse, references to old design pages that are still life under the hood? Or would you say that this is beyond the responsibilty of the designer and the client should clean up it's own sever. Most likely they have no idea what is what or even how to login.

What do you advice when all is said and done.

Re: What to do with old material residing on the clients server?

Marius -

Marius wrote:

So there's the old site content still left on the server as you design the new site structure on the clients server. Do you just chuck the old stuff in a backup folder? Wouldn't this result in a bunch 404's from search engines? EVen worse, references to old design pages that are still life under the hood? Or would you say that this is beyond the responsibilty of the designer and the client should clean up it's own sever. Most likely they have no idea what is what or even how to login.

What do you advice when all is said and done.

What I will typically do is move the old content to a subdirectory and create referral pages in the new design for those pages that have no replacement in the new design so that old search engine links go somewhere appropriate in the new design.  Then explain to the client what has been done.  In most cases, they'll appreciate the attention to detail.

That's my 2¢.  :^{>

Honored to Serve for Him - Tom ('Mas) Pickering <)><

Re: What to do with old material residing on the clients server?

.htaccess redirects to all new content from old directories/files. In most circumstances, all old directories/files then go offline. Occasionally, I'll serve new content from a new directory like v2, map the site root to that directory and then create a subdomain for the original (old.domain.com or whatever) if it needs to stay online for some reason.

For the most part, I really like my servers clean. I don't want anything left that's not actively being served. But I also believe highly in "legacy support" of old or moved content. I have some interesting .htaccess files as a result, but it's too simple not support your digital trail. And this means figuring out some insane naming conventions of a few developers (or systems) who go before us. Someday in the future, someone will come along and fix my insane naming conventions as well. I'm fine with that.