Re: Introduce Yourself

Greetings all. I'm a Creative Pastor and Web Administrator by day and a blogger and podcaster by night. I am 52% creative and 48% technical, so I feel like God has kind of given me a mixed skill set. I love design, but I also love XHTML and PHP. I enjoy music, but I also love rebuilding my PC. Some days I wake up and wish I could just excel in design alone, to really push the envelope and make a difference in that field. Other days I want to solve the latest need by programming the sweetest web app ever. It's a toss up with me.

I think that's why I like Godbit so much. Nathan, you really blend elements of the creative and elements of the technical very well. Plus, designing/coding with standards in mind just makes sense. I am thrilled to see this community launch and I'm looking forward to seeing it blossom. Looks like there is some serious talent in the room already. smile

David: Thanks, I really appreciate that. I'm sort of like you in the tech/art mix I suppose, except some days I feel 25/25 instead of 50/50! That's cool you're in Montgomery. I was there for a year in high school, and went to Jefferson Davis HS. It's a great town, but I stuck out like a sore thumb - 1/2 Japanese guy without a Southern accent. I did learn to enjoy okra though. wink

Give me liturgy or give me death.

Greetings everyone! My name is Shawn Anthony. I'm living in eastern PA. I'm presently finishing the first semester of my second year of seminary (M.div). I am an unabashed religious liberal and I am working toward parish ministry in the Unitarian Universalist Association. I have a B.A. in Theology from a private Christian College which claims John Ashcroft's (yes, THAT John Ashcroft) father as a former president. I am a father to three wonderful children, and a husband to a wonderful wife. I love moto-cross. I love people. I love religion of all sorts. It's good to be here and I look forward to some edifying and exciting conversations.

I am really interested in web design and development but I am not doing either in any professional sense. I basically maintain and run my blog and that's about the extent of it. I am, however, seriously interested in learning more about design and development for my own personal use. Perhaps I can pick up some knowledge from you wonderful folk while I am here! Peace all over the bunch of you!

Hi,
Just thought I'd write and say hello, I've visited the site a few times now and just thought I'd say that I think it's a great idea. Keep up the good work!

Well, stuff about me, my name is Rick Curran, I live in Dundee, Scotland. I'm 33 years old, married to Annie (from Toronto!) and have a 3 year old daughter called Natalie. I run my own Web Design / Development company called wideopenspace, I've been involved with the internet and web design since about 1993/94. I've studied both graphic design and Fine Art (Time Based Art, Do a google search if you don't know what that is!!) so I enjoy both client projects and also my own projects.

Like a few people (Nathan, David etc) have written here I too like to do both design and coding. I'm really focused on standards based design, XHTML, CSS etc, along with working on PHP/MySQL backend apps too. I just enjoy it all, my business is small in numbers with only two of us as full-time employees so it does require a lot of cross-over skills.

My own blog site is Suburbia, it's just a place for me to write about whatever, experiment a bit, it runs on a blog tool that I'm kind of continuously developing.

Anyway, just wanted to say 'Hi', it's a great resource, definitely one that I'll point some other Christian web guys too!

Cheers!

Rick

el corazón del problema es la problema del corazón

Rick, welcome. I was reading up on your site, www.WideOpenSpace.co.uk - I have the utmost respect for people gutsy enough to write their own CMS's. Cool stuff.

I like the CMS name...Fabric...makes me very curious, a good sounding marketable name. Anywho, welcome...

It'd be cool if it was extensible, and the plugin engine was called Tapestry. I don't know why exactly, I just it's due to Mint and it's Pepper system.

I'm General Havok...also known variously as Anthony John and just plain ol' Tony. I suppose I'm having an identity crisis. I currently live in Morrison, CO (home of Red Rocks Ampitheatre and Bandimere Speedway) but lived in, of all places, the Boise area for 16 years. I got a bulk rate on tuition at Northwest Nazarene College (now NNU where I studied broadcasting, religion, and philosophy. I've been married for 16 years and have a near-perfect son of 6.

Right now I'm struggling to maintain my freelance status as a work-at-home web designer/host/webmaster. I do graphics (not great yet) and write semantic code (almost) and am on call with few clients as their overall geek. I'm a theology nut, love music, hate golf (can't wait to play again asap), and read almost as fast as I type.

I appreciate what Nathan's doing here...I hope that the church makes use of the great minds that are already here. I know I will!

Last edited by generalhavok (2005-12-02 18:50:06)

We're all looking forward to the future...but none of us more than the giant, evil robots.

Jumpin' in to say hi...though I'm feeling a bit out numbered with all you *guys*.  I'm more of a designer than a developer; for me, coding is a necessary frustration to get my stuff on the web. I've been designing sites off and on for about 8 1/2 years and switched from Dreamweaver to hand-coded, css positioned layouts about a year ago.

I've been married for 15 years to a guy who has a passion for church technology and I homeschool our two --mostly fun, sometimes challenging-- kiddos. I guess that makes me kind of a vintage mom around here. wink Though I did see some other class of '85ers so maybe I'm not *that* vintage. I took my first computer class in 1984 (a BASIC class) on a TRS-180 and played incessantly on my Commodore 64 at home. I didn't follow the computer route in collge (could have taken COBAL and PASCAL) but instead got a psych degree in 1989. We got our first computer of our married life in 1991 and hooked into Prodigy in 1992. Been online ever since.

I'm an Okie by birth, a Coloradoan at heart (2 years on the Western Slope will do that!) and a Missourian by location (howdy from Joplin to the guys in Springfield and Lebanon!).

Okay, now you know my life story. That's pretty much as exciting as it gets. Can't wait to get involved in this growing community!

Last edited by Mary (2005-12-02 19:53:14)

Wife, Mother, Home Educator, Writer, Digital Scrapbooker and TechnoDiva

Thanks General Tony Sir, but it's not just me. I want to get away from "What Nathan's doing" as the idea for the site was Rob Evan's brainchild. It's "What God's doing" through us, all of us. //end rant smile

Mary, welcome. Don't worry about being a class of '85er. That just means you're wiser than most of us here. I like your site, by the way. The caricature reminds me of the opening of Bewitched, the Nick at Nite one, not the recent movie.

Last edited by Nathan Smith (2005-12-02 20:11:27)

My turn to rant:

It wasn't my brain child, it was ours. I suppose we should just say God's idea and He brought us together (ah, how sweet, big_smile) to talk it over and get it going.

/end rant big_smile

Oh, and welcome Mary (Lady's first) and Tony!

Welcome Tony and Mary.

Mary, not to worry Natalie is here as well. Perhaps you both can start getting some more women involved with Web Standards and visiting here at Godbit.

Exercise your faith!

I'm Jim and I am really liking this site, a lot of quality stuff here.  My claim to fame is being married to Mary, the technodiva, who registered earlier.  I'm not sure how that works, I told her about the site and she beat me getting in here.  She's the real talent in our family, as far as web development and design goes, I'm a serious hack at it.  However, I do seriously appreciate the importance of web standards and quality code.  I am in the process of stepping out on my own to do computer consulting fulltime.  This will cover a variety of things, including servers, networking, desktop support,  training etc.  I will also be pushing Mary's web skills and we are hoping together we can take over the world.........well, at least support ourselves doing the things that we love.  As she mentioned above, my heart and passion are for the church and equipping the church to use technology more effectively and that's where I want to focus my energy.  I have worked with several churches so far but I need more time, it's getting harder to do these things while staying in my job, so the time is drawing near to make a move.  It's a big step but God is really growing us and stretching us right now.

By the way, I linked to this site from my blog earlier today, that's how impressed I was with it.  My blog is  Church Tech Matters and I focus on church technology.  That keeps me occupied and out of trouble for the most part.

We are just down the road from some of you in the Joplin, MO area.

Thanks for the link Jim. Welcome, we are most happy to have you here. I wish you and Mary all the best in your new endeavor. May the Lord make you both prosper as you do this to bring glory to his name.

Peace and God Bless.

Exercise your faith!

Hello everyone I am Joshua Davis, friend of Nathan's going back to days of Jedi Knight.  Nathan back then was a level designer.  Anyway, I haved worked in software development for 3 years.  In that time I have done a few web based applications.  Nathan has always been helpful on CSS and design questions and the main reason I know anything about CSS based design. I code in C#, VB, ASP.NET, and sometimes in Ruby,Python, and Java.  I am also concerned with the technology used by Christians and how those with gifts in IT can help the body of Christ. 

Joshua

I (regularly) read your blog, Jim...thanks for your hard work.

Last edited by generalhavok (2005-12-03 14:15:31)

We're all looking forward to the future...but none of us more than the giant, evil robots.

General sir, I think you might be mistaking Joshua for this guy: http://joshuadavis.com/ - same name, different people.

Nathan, I was just looking at your Sonspring site and noticed you'd been to Estonia? Is that where your wife is from? My wife has a ceilidh band (www.sporranagain.com) and they've been to Estonia a few times as part of work our church was doing. They were in Talinn working with Tallinn City Church, it was about 3 years since they were last their 'officially' but a few of the guys go back occasionally to visit. I actually just noticed that the site for their last trip is still online, www.life-line.org.uk, my wife wasn't on that last trip as she was pregnant with our daughter at the time!

~Rick

Last edited by RickCurran (2005-12-06 14:54:39)

el corazón del problema es la problema del corazón

ROFL, class of 85...I was born in 1985 tongue...I'm halfway to 40 now haha.

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

LOL, same here.

Exercise your faith!

Rick: Yep, my wife is from Estonia, and is ethnically Russian. You can read her blog here: http://olgasmith.com/

I'm Chris, web developer. A few acronyms, words and links: PHP, ASP, SQL, JavaScript, AJAX, CSS, Apache, Fireworks, Flash, RSS, www.wiblog.com, www.stillbreathing.co.uk. And somewhere amongst all that lot is the scattered remnants of my social life!

Welcome Chris. That's quite an extensive list of things you can do. hehe don't keep it all to yourself now, share it with the rest of us. Sharing is caring. smile

Exercise your faith!

Chris....are you the guy who did the dullest blog in the world?

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.