Topic: Microsoft's ActiveX changes

For those of you who have not heard, Microsoft has made an important change to the IE 6 (and future) browsers.  It affects the way they host ActiveX objects on your page.  For those of you who, like us, are accustomed to placing the typical <OBJECT> tags on your page, this affects you.

Once the security patch is installed on a machine, the user of that machine will have to click to "activate" objects on a Web page every time they visit.  This includes:

- Flash movies (any version)
- Windows Media Player embedded in the page
- Quicktime player
- Other ActiveX objects

Here is an example of what it looks like (note: this is only a screen shot):

[img]http://www.siteorganic.com/email/images/activex_alert_example.gif[/img]

Your visitors will begin seeing the change over the next several days/weeks, as their Windows machines gradually receive the latest security updates from Microsoft.

Here is an article from Adobe/Macromedia with more explanation:
http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/active … etter.html

Microsoft has provided a fix for this, which involves various Javascript techniques to render the code externally. 

Here at Edge Media/SiteOrganic, this means that we have to re-code every site we have ever built (if it includes Flash), so that Flash objects are called externally.  It also means changes for our ASP and ASP.NET routines that write Flash movies dynamically.  Fun!  smile

There will undoubtedly be many on this board (and elsewhere) who will chalk this up as yet one more reason to use Firefox or Mac (since this problem doesn't affect any browser but IE/Win).  However, in the interest of making the Web a better place, we all need to recognize the major impact this will have on any sites that use ActiveX.  You're still talking about 80% or more of your audience being affected by this.  The good news is that a fix is available, so we wanted to bring this to everyone's attention.

Re: Microsoft's ActiveX changes

hey i found an even better fix which is freakin easy.  Here it is and I already used it on a webpage I am building and it worked flawlessly.
Hope this helps everyone.

[witty scriptorial reference here]

Just wanted to throw it out there, but it seems as though if the user has JS disabled you'd run into some issues. I know those numbers aren't high, but there are crazy people out there who are browsing JS free. Just a thought. smile

Rock on.

Very true... if they have JS disabled, then basically the dynamic replace wouldn't run and you'd be left with a fallback of "click here to activate this object."  As someone on my team said, "if they have JS disabled, then clicking on a Flash movie is the least of their problems." smile

hsojeel wrote:

hey i found an even better fix which is freakin easy.  Here it is and I already used it on a webpage I am building and it worked flawlessly.
Hope this helps everyone.

What's particularly nice about this FlashObject fix is the ability to read dynamic queries passed to the .swf from the url string...not just the hard coded "<param name="FlashVars" value="test=test">" but "so.addVariable("variable1", getQueryParamValue("variable1"));"

- examples and doc

Also, it's still much easier to implement than the new Dreamweaver update fix that uses it's own external JS to address the issue.