Topic: Why Cold Fusion?

Hey guys,

When I initially got started with Web Design, I used to code with Allaire Homesite (now integrated into Dreamweaver). At that time I also heard about Cold Fusion, but was a total newbie when it came to applications on the web, so didn't pay it much attention. Nowadays I have grown more and more curious with PHP and ASP and am even using them at my part time job.

Okay, so now that I have my intro done, my question is why would I want to use CF? Does it have any benefits over PHP or ASP?

Exercise your faith!

Re: Why Cold Fusion?

Yannick: It sort of does what Rails does for Ruby - simplifies a lot of tasks, so that you don't have to write the functions yourself. It's not as hack-able (in my opinion) as PHP, meaning you can't make it do things too outside the box without some in-depth knowledge of it.  One benefit I suppose is better interfacing with Macromedia Flex, their platform for building RIA's - Rich Internet Applications.

Give me liturgy or give me death.

Honestly, I think the biggest benefit of ColdFusion is how easy it is for designers coming from an HTML writing background to learn. It's tag based, so it immediately makes more sense to HTML coders.

I agree with Nathan, it certainly simplifies tasks when compared to PHP, yet retains the ability for you to customize anything you need.

Proverbs 3:5,6

Hey thanks guys much appreciated, I understand some more now. Would you say that CF developers are in high demand?

Exercise your faith!

I see more open requests for PHP developers than ColdFusion developers. I don't know if that is global, but it has certainly been my experience.

Ah okay cool thanks. I wonder why Macromedia haven't updated the CF product line to version 8. Surely it needs updates and enhancements just like any other product they have.

Exercise your faith!

Maybe they plan on phasing it out like shockwave?

I have heard of a new version in the works, but I've got no hard link to back it up. I've heard another programmer here at work talking about it, but he left sick today. Bleh.

CFML would be more widely adopted if Adobe would just open-source it... The biggest hurdle it faces now is cost. ColdFusion Enterprise server costs around $5000. If the costs were significantly decreased or eliminated completely we'd see more people adopt CFM. Just my 2 centavos.

{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \(^o^)/

cdharrison wrote:

CFML would be more widely adopted if Adobe would just open-source it... The biggest hurdle it faces now is cost. ColdFusion Enterprise server costs around $5000. If the costs were significantly decreased or eliminated completely we'd see more people adopt CFM. Just my 2 centavos.

Ding ding ding

That also keeps the level of community involvment down as well.

I dream with an XML intereface

I used to program in ColdFusion at Biola. I've since switched to Ruby on Rails for most of my programming and hope that I never have to touch another line of ColdFusion, PHP, or ASP so long as I live. I like Ruby that much.

Ryan Heneise  |  Art of Mission  |  Now with extra-strong Donor Tools mojo

I've always been shocked by those who bash ColdFusion.  It just seems that most don't get it.

I've been using it intensively for the better part of the last two years, I'm a certified CFMX 7 Developer, and I can't get enough.

The expense argument is a poor one anymore, as development copies of CF are free and you can get very good hosting for under $10/month.  If you're looking to deploy in a corporate environment, then the cost is worth it because of the various optimizations that are done under heavy traffic.

And for those who call CF "less-hackable" than PHP have never explored the full power of CF.  With CF's extensibility, you can do anything in CF that you can do in Java.

I've found that most CF nay-sayers have either never worked with CF, or just gave it a cursory glance.

honestly i've never really seen a speedy well done site in cf. every cf site i've seen was sluggish and/or poorly designed.

right now ruby has my attention, especially with the attention brought to it by Rails and some of the projects out there trying to bring .NET functionality to Ruby as well as the JRuby project.

Last edited by kogent (2006-07-21 22:52:33)

Kogent,

Really?  Must not be looking hard enough.  Who's Using ColdFusion?

But I could go over a Ruby On Rails list (Ruby On Rails Real World Usage) and not find a single website I'd consider useful.

It's up to programmers to chose their preference, but Ruby On Rails seems more like a fad to me.

Ben Forta published <i>But It's Free</i> several years ago, comparing CF to ASP and others. It focused on what you get with CF as opposed to what you have to purchase as 3rd party software with other languages/platforms. I can't seem to find an active page of it online but I'll be glad to email you a MS Word copy if you'll drop me a line (hiker9/gmail). It was a very thorough article. Since then, CF has included things like Flash forms, FlashPaper and PDF tags, SMS integration, etc. that really make it a top performer.

Our development team uses CF, .NET (C# + ASP), Ruby and a few proprietaries. They each have their strengths. Learning to develop CF OOP-style will do wonders for getting the most out of CF.

Last edited by Jim_Cook (2006-08-11 07:45:56)

Jim,

Welcome aboard!  At my "day job" as a DBA, I work with a group of ASP.NET developers, and they had to go out and purchase a seperate set of software just for their charting.

And as I've looked at it, I've noticed that I could have done that with just the base install of CFMX 7.

So far I have yet to ask my boss how much he shelled out just for bar graphs.