Topic: Need php help with video

I currently have some php code that calls a wmv from the server and displays it on a page.  I'm using it and I'm learning Drupal and would like to display the video in two different versions.  One for highspeed and the other being dialup speed.  The same video would be uploaded twice using the two different speed versions through ftp.

I need them to share the same row and same title while displaying the preferred speed beside them with the option of clicking highspeed or dialup to cause the sermon to play!  I'm using these on a drupal web-site while learning the cms and php as well!

I currently have the highspeed working with my code; but cannot figure out what to do to add whatever I need to make dialup speed work as well?  The site is www.cofchristsh.org   The code that I am using right now is:
      <tr>
        <th>PLAY</th>
        <th>Video
       </th>
    </tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
<?
$dir = @ dir('./sermons/highspeed');
while ($entry = $dir -> read()) {
    if ($entry != '.' && $entry != '..' && strtolower(substr($entry, -3)) == 'wmv') {
?>
    <tr>
        <td><a href="sermons/highspeed/<? echo $entry; ?>">PLAY</a></td>
        <td><? echo substr($entry, 0, (strlen($entry) - 4)); ?></td>
    </tr>
<?
        } // each wmv file
    } // each directory entry
$dir -> close();
?>
</tbody>

I know just enough to get myself into trouble at this perticuliar time!  We have a site that does this very thing that we had paid a developer years back to code for us.  The problem is that if I try to do it the way that; that site was done;  I would have to use so many files and code that is not needed considering that I'm using drupal on the site I'm now learning;  plus I do not understand everything this developer coded!  The site is www.viewtheword.org and the page is view sermons now;  if you want to see what I would like to do with the drupal site!

Thank you all as always for your help and if you could; plz give me a look at what code I need to make this work that way!  Have a great *CHRIST*-mas and thank you for all your help!!!!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Pr 18:24 - A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.

Re: Need php help with video

Dwayne:

You may want to look into using something like FileField and SWFTools along with Views to display a listing of your sermons in a tabular format with an embedded player.

Hope that helps.

Exercise your faith!

Yannick,  I appreciate the module info and it looks promising to me!  I just have to do a lot of reading and playing around with it before I will really know what to do with it!  Are you listing these 3 as in using all 3 together or as in me making the choice as to which one may work best for my application?

I have looked at them;  but really do not yet understand  how I need to use them!  I was hoping to be able to stick with wmv formatted videos that are on my server and have one embedded player that will play progressive wmv download media.  And that I can have a playlist that when play is clicked on per video;  that it would use the selfsame embedded player!

Is this possible to do with these modules or is swf/fla the main video support that this gives?  I know that swf/fla is the going thing;  but somehow the programmer who programmed our main site about  4 to 5 yrs ago has it configured to where a wmv player pops up and plays progressive download wmv videos through one embedded player and even Linux OS will play them!

wmv has a tighter compression factor and thus faster upload times for me and the quality looks rather well!  For the life of me I cannot figure his code scheme as there are multitudes of files;  xhtml,  jscript, swf for banner, css, php while using a MySQL database.  I may end up going with flash as a last resort which it may be;  but I'd rather keep the wmv format!

The site I'm building with Drupal is www.cofchristsh.org and is still being played around with;  so I have my wmv videos linking  externally on existing wmv files that are on my server for now which launch a external wmp until I figure out how to do it as our other site does at www.viewtheword.org or go to swf/fla format.

I do have some Drupal books and cd tutorials and this may just require me to do a lot of reading to get the hang of it!

Is there a way to do what I am enquiring about or is this way with those modules strictly- swf/fla format?  Thanks once again in advance!!! And I really do appreciate your help and advice concerning this!   Hope you all had a nice *CHRIST*-mas!!!  Thank you!!!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
                                          As for me and my house;  we will serve the *LORD*!

Last edited by Dwayne Whitley (2009-12-27 17:33:48)

Hey Dwayne,

Yeah I meant using all 3 together. To be honest I haven't done much along the lines of streaming/hosting videos on any of the Drupal sites I've worked on. The most I have done is pulling in YouTube videos and displaying them with SWFTools and Views but haven't tried using FileField as yet. I could try it and perhaps then give you more step-by-step instructions on using the 3 modules together. Will let you know more soon.

Exercise your faith!

Yannick,  Thanks for your offer!  Take your time as beggers can't be choosy or impatient!!!  I just appreciate what you are already doing for me!  Have a great week!   Maybe by me reading and dabbling around a little bit;  I may figure something out as well! Thanks once again for your help!
                             All things work together for the good of those who love the *LORD*!

Hey Dwayne,

I realize that the SWFTools module I recommended doesn't handle wmv files. You said you already have the wmv files on a server somewhere right and know the path to those files? If so we might be able to do it a slightly different way by creating a custom content type using CCK with an extra field with the path/URL to the wmv file and then we can try using the JW Player: Silverlight Player to display them.

You are using Drupal 6 right?

Exercise your faith!

Yannick,
My path to the sermons videos is http://www.domain.org/public_html/file directory/highspeed/sermon.wmv and another path identical only with dialup where highspeed is!  I'm not yet pulling the dialup versions in yet;  they too are on the server!

I would appreciate some sort of idea as to where I need to start?  I'm still learning the drupal cms.  I'm currently using my php code directly on the page that they are listed on;  on the drupal site.  Not using any module for that yet!  It seems to pull the highspeed into the sermons page;  but only works with launching an external wmp. 

However I would like to have an embeded player on the page with a playlist of some sort!   Do I need to create a node for this and if so;  what would be my beginning steps?   Yes I am using Drupal 6.15.   Sorry for not getting back to you any sooner!  I've been real busy with child/school/holidays/church and buying a car!  Thank *GOD* that the car buying and holidays are out of the way now!  Hope your holidays went well and anyone elses who reads this post!

As always; thanks for any and all help concerning this!!!!
                                                      To live is *CHRIST*;  to die is gain!

If I decide to go with flash; what is a good inexpensive converter that I can use on my desktop and then upload them to the site FTP?  And what multiple list / player plug-ins (also inexpensive) can I use to host my own videos off the sites server?

Thanks once again!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
                                       As for me and my house; we will serve the *LORD*!

Dwayne:

You'd probably have do a Google search. I'm not sure of which are the good converters out there.

With regards to player plugins. I'd give JW Player a try or Flow Player. The JW Player might be a good option for you since you already have the videos in WMV. The JW Player can use Silverlight to play those WMV/WMA files.

Exercise your faith!

Yannick, Thank you so much for doing my homework!  I'm currently trying to figure out how I add this to the drupal cms?  If it was a regular site;  i think I could probably figure everything out a little easier!  The players look very promising and I have seen them in use with play lists!  I do not quite know how to incorporate it yet into the cms!  Thank you for your help and I am going to be doing a lot of studying and practicing!  Thanks and have a great week end!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
                                            As for me and my house;  we will serve the *LORD*!