Topic: "Must be made in Photoshop"

I posted this on FreelanceSwitch too, but I want you're guys reaction:

Looking at the design gigs I was shocked how many listings require Photoshop for the web design. Maybe I'm wrong, but I had the impression Fireworks was the program of choice for most web designers.

I used to be a Photoshop web designer, but felt in the extreme minority. When the CS3 series came out and Fireworks started supporting Photoshop effects I made the switch and have been much more productive every since.

Why does a client feel they have the liberty to mandate beyond what they want, and tell you how to do it? If I take my car to a mechanic I don't insist they use only Mac tools. (Double entendre!)

Have any of you ever accepted such a job and simply saved the project into a PSD for delivery? Because in the end-run it's the same.

Last edited by Leovenous (2009-07-24 10:18:33)

"Bear 270, young man. Bear two, seven, zero, over." - Musings of a flight simulator guru, me.

Re: "Must be made in Photoshop"

FWIW, I still use Photoshop for web design, as do all of the other designers at my company. (Of course, that doesn't mean we're not the minority.)

I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come...

Yeah, I just save things out in PSD if it's a requirement. At the company I work for (Fellowship Technologies), we're 100% Fireworks, and just we hired my former coworker (from Asbury Seminary) David Brooks who used to use Photoshop but has since moved to FW. We don't really look for PS on a résumé. Heck, I own CS4 Master Suite, but only have Fireworks installed.

In my opinion, Fireworks is to Web Design as Photoshop is to Photography. More on why I consider FW ideal, here...

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/a … se_it.html - Article I wrote for Adobe Dev Center.

That's not to say people can't use Photoshop for web design, just that if they do, they're using the wrong tool. smile

On a personal note, if I have the option to do freelance work with a designer who insists on using Photoshop, and s/he wants me to do front-end coding / PSD slicing, I'll usually take a pass. To me, the money to be made is not worth the pain of using PS.

Give me liturgy or give me death.

Here's my two cents. The requirement for Photoshop could be due to client ignorance. Maybe it's a good opportunity to educate them? Isn't that what we try to do with web standards?

As for the Photoshop vs Fireworks thing, I try to maintain the position that it's not about the tools. Use whatever works for you. Like you said, the end-run is the same.

FWIW, I'm using the wrong tool. wink

Yeah, to me, the "proof is in the pudding." I've seen plenty of good (and bad) work done with PS.

Fireworks just jives with me more, so that's what I use and recommend. But, to each his / her own.

Give me liturgy or give me death.

I've been rather surprised at my responses to this post in the Freelance Switch forum. There are a lot of Photoshop Web designers.

BTW Nathan, you're preaching to the choir. You're the one who converted me from Ps to Fw in the first place. I'm still working in CS3 but I'll probably upgrade to CS4 as soon as the Photoshop TV guys stop talking about it (the disadvantage of waiting to upgrade).

"Bear 270, young man. Bear two, seven, zero, over." - Musings of a flight simulator guru, me.