Topic: Designs, Articles and Context

I know of at least a few people who have their sites broken down into versions and as they move to a new design their content is "archived" under those old designs. I'm not really wanting to move any content, I'm just curious what you all think about the idea of breaking down a site by editions.

On one hand I think it's an interesting idea because it keeps your content in its original context. And then on the other hand it seems like some users who aren't expecting it would be confused by the fact that your site keeps changing looks at every other click. You know, consistency and all that.

So, I thought I'd ask you all what you think about the concept.

Thanks!

Re: Designs, Articles and Context

I haven't done many site rebuilds like this, but to me, an in ideal world, I think I would rather merge all the old content into the new site's design. Yeah, keeping it in context is kind of neat, but not as usable as having it there for a new visitor to find (and look the same as the rest of the stuff).

This would be extremely tricky though if image sizes differ and such, which is why the next site I build may use some kind of on-the-fly image sizing.

Re: Designs, Articles and Context

Thanks for your input Ben! Imagery was definitely one of my considerations in this. But I guess I have just seen people doing this kind of thing more often these days and it goes against what I always thought was consistency in web design, etc. But it made me think really hard about it, and I think that's a good thing.

The general responses I have been getting today is that it's a bad idea, and so I probably won't be going that route. But I may figure out some way to mirror my site to keep like a version1.luzcannon.com type of scheme that just references my content entirely. Then of course the problem comes down to duplicate content penalties etc. Whatever, that's probably all a topic for another day. smile

The first step I took yesterday was to standardize imagery on my site, not by size but by class. That way, in the future I just reference .focalImage in the CSS and tell the new design how wide every contextual image should be. It turns out to even have a benefit for Lightboxes as well.