Topic: Thanksgiving for ...

I know Thanksgiving (USA) is a bit behind us, even so, I had one of those BGO's while preparing a Thanksgiving sermon. The text was the Lilies of Field passage from Matthew which ends up (more or less) with Jesus saying, "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you." The traditional Thanksgiving sermon goes ...

Consider the lilies of the field and how much more you have.
   God has provided it all to you, therefore be thankful.

No doubt you have heard that sermon, and I have probably given it<G>. So, I am studying the text and I see for the first time, that's not what the text is saying! What the text is saying is ...

The top priority is seeking the Kingdom of God and if you do that, well, God knows what you need and will supply it.

Flipped around the other way and in the context of the Thanksgiving holiday what is said is ...

Give thanks that God gives us all the stuff we have SO THAT
   we can pursue the Kingdom of God ahead of anything else and without worry.

Our Lord creates the environment enabling us to pursue His Kingdom ahead of all else. Doh! Almost 57 and still haven't learned it. Well, here's to reckless and imprudent pursuit of the Kingdom of God.
Grace and peace
Paul+

Why prayer when you can fret and worry?

Re: Thanksgiving for ...

Paul -

frpaulas wrote:

Our Lord creates the environment enabling us to pursue His Kingdom ahead of all else. Doh! Almost 57 and still haven't learned it. Well, here's to reckless and imprudent pursuit of the Kingdom of God.

And yet, we're so busy "living" our fleshy lives that we totally miss that. neutral

Honored to Serve for Him - Tom ('Mas) Pickering <)><

Re: Thanksgiving for ...

frpaulas,  Thanksgiving is usually a great time to see your family members who have moved off or you haven't spent much time with since marriage,  kids etc.!  But really;  it is a man-made tradition.   We should no doubt be thankful for all that *GOD* does and has done for us!  With that said;  we must keep *HIS* message that *HE* was conveying through *CHRIST* *HIS* *SON* intact so as not to change it's meaning! 

If we preach *GOD*s message in *SPIRIT* and in *TRUTH*;  we should keep it in context of what *HE* was saying to them.  *HE* was saying that if they seeked the kingdom of *GOD* above all earthly things that *HE* provides for the lillies of the field;  how much more would *HE* provide for those who seek the kingdom first and above all things?

We should always be thankful for all things that *GOD* does for us;  because *HE* has earned that!  *HE* has given us more than any of us deserve.  And yes the top priority is seeking and finding the kingdom of *GOD* at any cost to us!

With that said;  i see the whole year being a day by day time to give *GOD* thanks for everything!   Nothing ill intended by this!  I hope you did not take it that way!   I have a lot to joy over everyday and i'm indeed thankful to *GOD*! 

Ps 118:24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

And theres nothing wrong with a sermon on thanking *GOD* by no means as long as all sermons are done in the context of the scripture!
Have a great week!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
                                                    The *WORD* to live by:  To live is *CHRIST*;  to die is gain!