Topic: New Client, but is in a situation

As some of you may know (friends and people who follow me on Twitter) I landed my first web client. It's a pretty cheap project for the amount of pages that I need to do, but the fact is that the project is a 7 day project(which I can do), but I haven't heard from the client since Tuesday, in which I sent an email asking about content, details, and such, and also we agreed on taking a deposit of 25% before I started doing any work.

What do you think I should do? Should I start designing a page, or just wait. I have no idea what the client is thinking, because we have had no contact since Tuesday.

Re: New Client, but is in a situation

Without knowing the specifics of the situation - as a general principle - I wouldn't start the work until I received the deposit. If you don't have anything else to work on and you are willing to risk not getting paid, then it might be worth getting started.

I would also recommend setting the deadlines/targets based on when you receive the content, reviews, etc from the client as opposed to a hard date. It is important for clients to understand that a website is a collaborative effort between the designer/team and the client and that their responsiveness directly effects your ability to meet deadlines.

The difference between sacred work and secular work is not what we're doing but why we're doing it. - AW Tozer

I would sit tight and wait. I know its difficult if you've never had a client, your anxious to start work... but the reality is its not unusual to get a job from a client and when its time for the client to pony up the down payment you never hear from them again... that's the whole reason why you get money up front in the first place. Imagine if you spent 40 hours on a project and turn it in and you never hear from the client (which has happened to me).

I would send a casual email to the client - let them know you're checking in and when they'd like you to start... kindly remind them that you can't start without the down payment. If you don't hear back, don't take it personally.

Daniel Marino | www.iamdanielmarino.com

It kinda stinks, because I had to pay 25bucks on getafreelancer.com just for getting the bid and now this. I just printed some business cards so hopefully I can get some local business and not worry about anything like this again.

more advice... I would stay away from services where you have to pay to view potential jobs... there's just so many free places that its not worth it. Check out authenticjobs.com, gigs.37signals.com, I'm sure there's plenty more - if you use reputable job boards (pretty much any where the person has to pay to list there project and not the other way around) you'll find that the clients are better to work with and are serious about hiring a freelancer because they've invested in it.

Adrian -

Hang tough until your get that deposit.  Don't set the wrong precedent in your haste to get that first gig under way.

That's my 2 cents :^{>

Honored to Serve for Him - Tom ('Mas) Pickering <)><

I just sent an email saying that I was unavailable to begin the project because we had agreed on a 25% deposit before the process began. I was very nice and added that I would be willing to see if I can help her out with anything if they needed it, but I did stress the fact that I will not begin anything until the deposit is made.

Sorry to hear about your job problems!!!!!!!

Dmarino, what are the best places to find web jobs where the designer do not need to pay for leads?

Tim

Last edited by tim413 (2008-10-21 08:00:06)

here are some:

authenticjobs.com (have had the best luck with this one)
gigs.37signals.com
krop.com
jobs.smashingmagazine.com
jobs.webdesignerwall.com
allfreelancework.com (haven't used this one in a while - may not be free anymore)
jobs.freelanceswitch.com ($7/month - personally I think its a ripoff given there are so many free listings available, especially since they only have 108 job postings at the time of this post)

I'm sure there are more if you google for it...

I started my business on Jan 1 of 2006; I've been blessed to only have 2 problem clients.  I think you've been given some good advice.  Don't start anything until the deposit is made.  They are paying you for time; so if you want to possibly do something and not get paid for it then go ahead wink  Me, I wouldn't unless it were for a ministry or just your own ministry.

I think you're doing the right thing though.  If it's clear from the onset that a deposit is expected before work will begin then don't do any work until the deposit is in hand.

Live with the wonder of a child, pray with your arms thrown open wide, love with a love that has no end; until I see you again ~ Mark Schultz

Dmarino,

Thanks for the sites.

Tim

I finally got my down payment. Wooot! Time to get rolling.

Adrian,

Congratulations!!!!!!!!