Topic: YARGH!!! Help me convince the non-profit i work for to rehaul

Hi All,
So I work for a non-profit as the web designer, updater, and the site as is, is TERRIBLY out of date. It's table based. A horribly done "CMS" runs certain elements, a Microsoft SQL db runs other parts with page id's, and the site is not searchable.

I've been trying to convince them that we need to completely redo the site. I'll give you an example of how I need to update a page with content.

1) Find the page, based on the page id - say 357.
2) go accross the room to a PC, log into the PC, then the DB in Microsoft SQL express, find the specific page id in the table, write down the name of the HTML file that needs updated.
3) go back across the room, log into the FTP, find the specific page, drill down to it, Update it, reupload.
4) Fin.
5) repeat steps 1 -5 till 5 o' clock.
6) drive home and cry out to God in frustration.

So, my question to you guys is, how can I go about explaining the ultimate value of implementing a proper CMS. I've allready developed a full document with all the reasons I see, quicker updating, multiple authors, etc. and it seems to me that they seem to fall on deaf ears.

Is there some magical way I can wake my bosses up to see the light? Please help, if you have any advice.

Thanks!!
~Josh

“The dearest friend on earth is a mere shadow compared to Jesus Christ.”

Re: YARGH!!! Help me convince the non-profit i work for to rehaul

Hi Josh -

Have you tried ROI/Cost Justification?

Or the ability to better accomplish the mission of the non-profit?

Don't try to explain it in tech terms - figure out the language that makes them tick and pitch it couched in those words.

Also, maybe just show them a demo of a working site with a CMS that you think that would be good for this organization if they really need convincing.

Last edited by C.Barr (2008-06-13 15:32:17)

Or run away from non-profs as fast as your feet can carry you. Otherwise Chris and Mike said what I was thinking.

Side note: Most non-profs complain of being under-staffed. Maybe you could work up a diplomatic way to remind them that freed-up current staff is often better than new staff.

"Bear 270, young man. Bear two, seven, zero, over." - Musings of a flight simulator guru, me.