Topic: Internet Content Filter

My church is in need of a content filtering solution.

We are currently using bsafe and it is not adequate.  We really need a network based solution, but not an "enterprise" class solution.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks,
Eric

Re: Internet Content Filter

You might take a look at www.trusteli.com. It is a "security appliance" that includes the router (with wireless) plus firewall, internet filtering, virus detection, spam tagging, etc. On the internet filtering, you decide what categories that you want filtered and it will block websites from any of the categories that you have blocked.

The nice thing about that approach is that you don't have to install and maintain extra software on the computers themselves. If you have laptops, though, I would still recommend getting anti-virus software on them.

The difference between sacred work and secular work is not what we're doing but why we're doing it. - AW Tozer

Use OpenDNS on your router, it's what my church uses.  Very easy to set up, works great, and it's free.  YOu can select the checkboxes to block all adult sites, as well as other categories, even individual sites.  We have it blocking myspace.com as well so that all the youth don't get on the computers to check their myspaces out.

Thanks!  I will look into both of these suggestions.

C.Barr wrote:

Use OpenDNS on your router, it's what my church uses.  Very easy to set up, works great, and it's free.  YOu can select the checkboxes to block all adult sites, as well as other categories, even individual sites.  We have it blocking myspace.com as well so that all the youth don't get on the computers to check their myspaces out.

I use OpenDNS and for what you get it is easy and functional.

† Taj