Topic: Leadership and Accountability

Moved from "Introduce Yourself"

Ultimately, though, with leadership it does comes down to accountability.... To your point- pastors and christians (myself included) in general can be a poor representation of the Kingdom – but don't judge my God by my actions. That said, though, after a quick read through the letters to Timothy we clearly see that there is a higher standard to which teachers and elders are held.

In thoughts about how some Christians don't behave in such a way that represents the Kingdom, I've always been taught that there is a Biblical basis for pastors, teachers, elders, etc. being held and judged to a higher standard of accountability. What about other persons, like worship leaders and popular musicians? Couldn't they be considered teachers too? They are leaders we look up to.. granted they are just people and we're not to put our faith in men, but shouldn't they be held to higher accountability?


.

…for He is like a Refiner’s Fire and like fullers’ soap. Malachi 3:2

Re: Leadership and Accountability

Chris -

chrispalle wrote:

In thoughts about how some Christians don't behave in such a way that represents the Kingdom, I've always been taught that there is a Biblical basis for pastors, teachers, elders, etc. being held and judged to a higher standard of accountability. What about other persons, like worship leaders and popular musicians? Couldn't they be considered teachers too? They are leaders we look up to.. granted they are just people and we're not to put our faith in men, but shouldn't they be held to higher accountability?

They fall more in the category of evangelists rather than teachers, in that they reach out through their music to give a glimpse of God's glory to those who know Him and, more importantly, those that don't.  I agree that they, too, like all the up front offices God has created, have more responsibility upon their shoulders.  Their example can help or hinder the spread of God's kingdom.  As a teacher and occasional worship leader, everything I do is under a microscope by the world and by my brothers & sisters in Christ.

To approach this from another angle, you mention that worship leaders and popular musicians are "just people", as opposed (by implication) to pastors, teachers, elders, etc.  Last time I looked, we also put their pants on one leg at a time and struggle with sin and the imperfections of the world.  Fact is, there was only one "perfect" man that walked this earth sin-free - the rest of us fall short at varying degrees from that standard, regardless of how we serve the "body" that is the church.

Bringing back around, we ALL need to be aware that our Lord is judged by the world based largely upon what they see US do - whether a person is on stage, in front of a class, or working the line at a local assembly plant.  We best be walking the walk that is supposed to accompany the title "Christian" or we'll end up feeding in to Satan's misinformation project, which quite effectively stirs up public opinion against us and the God we serve.  That's my 2¢.  :^{>

Honored to Serve for Him - Tom ('Mas) Pickering <)><

Re: Leadership and Accountability

Hey 'Mas. Thanks for the insight. You're dead-on wrt being under the microscope... poked and prodded (dag pitchfork). That reminds me of a story our bookstore manager told us: She was in the lobby just chatting away and mentioned that she would like to have had some gum. Afar from the distance a visitor walked up to her and handed her a piece a gum. She had no idea she was being watched.

Even more importantly, though is not what you do in public, but what you do in private that matters. It's important to have accountability partners and your spouse is not always the best person for this. In our church, we're always encouraged to allow brothers free access to our computers, emails, etc.

…for He is like a Refiner’s Fire and like fullers’ soap. Malachi 3:2

Re: Leadership and Accountability

chrispalle wrote:

Hey 'Mas. Thanks for the insight. You're dead-on wrt being under the microscope... poked and prodded (dag pitchfork). That reminds me of a story our bookstore manager told us: She was in the lobby just chatting away and mentioned that she would like to have had some gum. Afar from the distance a visitor walked up to her and handed her a piece a gum. She had no idea she was being watched.

The man I most recently mentored, who was the first person I had the privilege of baptizing and recently took over the chair of the ministry team I created years ago, likes to tell the story about a teenage girl he encountered a while back in the local video store.  She was wearing a Christian t-shirt and yet talking like a trucker (which this brother had been BC), and he quietly walked up to her and softly said, "Nice t-shirt."  She looked down, saw what she'd put on that day, and left the store without saying another word.  The world is always watching and it's easy to forget that.

Even more importantly, though is not what you do in public, but what you do in private that matters. It's important to have accountability partners and your spouse is not always the best person for this. In our church, we're always encouraged to allow brothers free access to our computers, emails, etc.

You're so very right - that's the other side of the coin.  Fact is, if you're keeping it together in "private", you're more than likely going to keep it together in public.  That's where we really "Walk the walk."  That's my 2¢.  :^{>

Honored to Serve for Him - Tom ('Mas) Pickering <)><

Re: Leadership and Accountability

Amen!

…for He is like a Refiner’s Fire and like fullers’ soap. Malachi 3:2

Re: Leadership and Accountability

I agree with what's been said, so I'll just say: I think it's extremely important for accountability to start well before someone becomes a leader. Much like how David's heart was right as a child, and God saw that and rewarded him with the kingdom of Israel. By the way, Maspick - I love your ASCII face at the end of your posts! Here's mine (headphones)...

d-_-b

Give me liturgy or give me death.

Re: Leadership and Accountability

OT, I know... sorry...
Here would be mine, with my Logitech Gaming headset on... c(·º)g

{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \(^o^)/

Re: Leadership and Accountability

Nathan -

Nathan Smith wrote:

By the way, Maspick - I love your ASCII face at the end of your posts! Here's mine (headphones)...d-_-b

Rock on, brother!

Chris -

cdharrison wrote:

Here would be mine, with my Logitech Gaming headset on... c(·º)g

We're all clever Christian geeks with too much time on our hands.  That’s my 2¢.  ;^{>

Last edited by maspick (2006-02-25 19:48:41)

Honored to Serve for Him - Tom ('Mas) Pickering <)><