Topic: Textile to Markdown?

I wasn't sure where to put this - figured PHP would fit. I'm curious to know if there's anything out there to take textile and convert it to markdown. I'm considering switching to markdown because I've recently found it easier to use - and read - than textile, but I'll need to convert all of my blog posts to markdown in order to switch. With 500+ posts I don't really want to do it manually. smile Any suggestions?

Re: Textile to Markdown?

Can't the old posts just continue to exist as Textile, and you just use Markdown in the future? I don't think installing Markdown would automatically break old posts, each of which probably have separate HTML-ized versions in the database anyway. I only foresee that being a problem if you want to go back and modify old posts, but have uninstalled Textile.

That being said, I don't know of any converters.

Give me liturgy or give me death.

Thanks, Nathan. That makes sense, but I wasn't sure. Can I have textile installed along side Markdown? I wasn't sure if I could do that. Would WP get confused as to which to use?

Not sure about simultaneous installations, since I'm not a WP user myself.

Give me liturgy or give me death.

I know Symphony wink stores the call to the appropiate text-filter with the post, so once saved in Textile, always Textile, and same for Markdown. I have both of those plus WYMedit (so three!) installed as plugins and there's no problem. Perhaps the same with WP? Not in older versions, though, it seems.

I thought that pandoc might have helped you out, but it doesn't seem to support Textile. Maybe there's another tool like this out there that does? Curiosity got me googling -- noticed this, which may (or may not!) offer some help, and via PHP appropriately enough (see the bit about "PHP Markdown has a Textile compatibility mode").

Last edited by DjR (2008-02-29 03:42:42)

David Reimer  //  ↪ "If you know the resurrection is coming, it's impossible to be in utter darkness." — Tim Keller ↩

Hi Natalie (or anyone else watching this thread!):

This may be "too little, too late" but a couple things. (1) There is a nifty bookmarklet here that does a dandy job at converting webpages to Markdown. If you have 500 entries, that could be tedious. But if there are a few (or something!) you're anxious to have quickly, this may help. The conversions I did with it worked great.

(2) Someone has written a script to convert whole websites to Markdown, but it's a Linux thing at the moment. Wouldn't help me, but thought I'd mention it anyway!

Hope that helps. David.

David Reimer  //  ↪ "If you know the resurrection is coming, it's impossible to be in utter darkness." — Tim Keller ↩

Thanks, David! You know what helped though (not perfect)... This WP plugin called Search & Replace: http://bueltge.de/wp-suchen-und-ersetzen-de-plugin/114/

I do a search and replace changing things like h4. to ####, # to 1. for an ordered list, and even textile to html, like ??" to <q>. So far the things I can't change with S&R are links and images, but this has cleaned up my posts quite a bit already and only took 2-3 minutes.

Natalie,

Thanks for your tip on Search & Replace. I had looked for  something similar last year for a site, but never found it. Great plugin!

"Change is inevitable, growth is intentional" - Glenda Cloud

Natalie ,   I'm not the best to give advice as i'm learning and relatively new at design;  but if you have an account with a web site host that allows so many subdomains and so many MySQL databases on the same account;  Couldn't you add a subdomain directory/database etc.  and link to it with the same site leaving the original info and adding the new in the subdomain folder as using WP on the subdomain without any worries?   Just a thought?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To Live is *CHRIST* and to die is gain! KJV