Topic: PayPal Pro

Greetings,

I'm a freelance web developer and I do web work for Village Missions, www.village-missions.org.

Has anyone incorporated PayPal Pro before? We have been using the free version of PayPal for sometime (to accept donations), and it works great. Now we would like the donor to remain on our web site through the entire donation process, so we are looking to use PayPal Pro. We don't need a fancy shopping cart or anything. Our need is for something exactly the same as the free version of PayPal, but with the ability for the donor to stay on our web site through the entire donation process.

However, I looked at the info for PayPal Pro, and it looks confusing. I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on a few things for me:

My main question is about the PCI Compliance Standards. Do I need to worry about that? Like, one of the requirements is to Build and Maintain a Secure Network, which includes Install and Maintain a Firewall. Since we are on Gospelcom's servers, how would I do that, or does Gospelcom already do that? Also, you're supposed to use and regularly update antivirus software (is that on the server, or on your personal computer, or?) Also, Track and monitor all access to network resources and cardholder data. (I'm just really not sure what all this means for our situation).

Also, I guess we have to have a "Quarterly Network Scan" by a Qualified Independent Scan Vendor. What does that mean and how would we do that? What would the cost be?

Anyway, I think I can figure out the technical part, but this other stuff I don't really understand. I've never dealt with anything like this before. Is there someone out there who has implemented something similar?

Thanks for any help.

Matthew Farnell
Webmaster, Village Missions
www.village-missions.org

Re: PayPal Pro

I know that http://www.popularweddingfavors.com/ (developed by Rob Sable) is done using Paypal (and TextPattern if it matters). I think he did some custom scripting for this project... He talks about the process in the book TextPattern Solutions - but I don't think he goes into detail as to how he integrated the two too much.

Daniel Marino | www.iamdanielmarino.com

Popular wedding party favors is throwing a "parse error".

Some guesses as to why, and what now:
* they're getting so much traffic, the server melted
* the new guy decided to try Wordpress
* they need to bring Rob Sable back in to fix it

"I was blind, but now I see!"  John 9:25

Montgomery: You can't blame wordpress, or a server because a programmer made a syntax mistake in his/her programming. wink This works BTW: http://www.popularweddingfavors.com/hom … blic_html/

* Like, one of the requirements is to Build and Maintain a Secure Network, which includes Install and Maintain a Firewall.

Yes, you should always secure your network, especially when transactions are concerned. You'll hate life if someone was able to get your customer's credit card information.

* Since we are on Gospelcom's servers, how would I do that, or does Gospelcom already do that?

You'll need to ask the IT guys at Gospelcom and see what type of security they have setup and how they can work with you to ensure transactions are secure.

* Also, you're supposed to use and regularly update antivirus software (is that on the server, or on your personal computer, or?)

Well, both. There is no big difference between a server and your personal computer. In fact, you could use your personal computer as a server if you wanted. I'm not sure if Gospelcom run's off windows, linux, solaris, or osx, but for either you need to make sure you always have the latest secruity patches installed, and the recommended kernel (linux) and keep on top of that. Security is really a full time job.

* Also, Track and monitor all access to network resources and cardholder data. (I'm just really not sure what all this means for our situation).

You'll need to keep track of the transactions. If you have a customer who buys something and there is a reoccurring charge, you need to keep the credit card information and all personal information for future transactions.

Popular Wedding Favors is Sable's wife's company so I think he's on call wink

I got that error too. Then I did a refresh and it worked fine, so not really sure what the problem is...

Daniel Marino | www.iamdanielmarino.com