Topic: Dropdown menu problem

I'm using CSS to activate dropdowns in the global navigation of a site, and the menus are falling behind a div that rotates photos using CSS (the menus work until the image rotates the first time).  I've tried z-index to no avail -- can anyone help?  The site is at

Last edited by Hollywood (2007-06-25 08:30:21)

Re: Dropdown menu problem

you've probably tried different numbers, but the li and a elements should have higher numbers for z-index to show on top of the img related divs.

for the z-index to be applied, I think the element also has to have the position set explicitly (which gives it "layout"). on the li and a related elements, set position:relative and things should start working.

If danofames suggestion doesn't work, you might try to set the #nav postion:static and also the #photodiv position:static. I've had that issue in the past, primarily with IE, and the z-index never seemed to help me. I haven't used a rotating jpg like you're using, but this also seems similar to issues I've had with flash where I had to set the wmode parameter to transparent before it would allow the menus to display above the flash image.

The difference between sacred work and secular work is not what we're doing but why we're doing it. - AW Tozer

I second what crandaddy said about the wmode being set to transparent - but I think that's only available if you're using the "embed" tag to embed the flash content

Daniel Marino |

The wmode suggestion is a good one, but the rotating photo is using CSS, not Flash.  The z-index and positioning fix really messed up the navigation in a big way.  I may end up doing that area in Flash if there isn't another option.  Thank you all for your replies!