Topic: Philadelphia and the surrounding area

Brandon Steiger of Synergema and I (Matthew Smith) - formerly of artiswork.org and soon to be of squaredeye.com have been talking recently about more localized gatherings of the goodness that is Godbit. I asked Nathan what he thought of the idea and thus Local Meetups is born.

I'd suggest that the best use of this forum, might be to work carefully to use the subject of each thead as a locality rather than a specific meetup. In addition, in my mind, it would be best to focus our discussions to the Shoot the Breeze forums, and allow this to be a spot for "local meetups" : the time, date, people, etc. If you have another suggestion I've started a thread here to get us started.

Let me start us off by inviting anyone in the Philadelphia and surrounding area to speak up and let Brandon and I know if you'd be interested in coordinating a spontaneous or regular get together for the sake of geekiness, encouragement, networking, and food (duh!). Anyone game?!

Re: Philadelphia and the surrounding area

Hm... Does Lancaster count? I know of at least one other Godbitter here...

Ninjas and pirates both agree: cowboys suck.

Absolutely --- I live in the Downingtown/Coatesville area so sure!! We are hoping to find a good middle ground for all us!

Brandon

Synergema embarks with its clients on a voyage toward clear communication of vital truths. Destinations vary, but our essential commitments do not.

I'm in Philly. Would love to meet up to talk geekery, God and other things.

Anybody have any suggestions for a first meetup in or around Philadelphia? Time/place.

Well, wherever it is, it's gotta have free wireless. I just moved here in August so you all probably know more of the area than I do.

I'm the "other" guy larry mentioned above from Lancaster.  Something right off 30 or 76 would be ideal.

Well, it sounds like 2 guys from Lancaster, 2 guys from Philly, and one in the middle -- how about.... King of Prussia to Paoli area? -- there are tons of places off of 30 or 202. (202 is roughly between 30 and 76).

Thoughts?

Synergema embarks with its clients on a voyage toward clear communication of vital truths. Destinations vary, but our essential commitments do not.

I'm game. Hopefully it won't be too late at night as I've got two really small kiddos. Kyle, it'd be great to finally meet in person. King of Prussia area would be fine to me.

I'm not in the Philadelphia area, but wanted to mention that for our Refresh Detroit meetups, we've had good luck with meetings at Panera's. Wireless, good food, easy to find, and many of the Panera's in our area are close to expressways for those who need to travel more than a few miles.

"Change is inevitable, growth is intentional" - Glenda Cloud

Panera would be great. I'm sure there's one in the king of prussia area we could hit up.  Also, i've kind of been sitting on this for awhile, but would love to get things rolling.  http://refreshlancaster.org/.  Any help would be appreciated!

Peace,

Panera sounds fine to me. How about a couple weeks/1 month out, so we have time to plan? At some point, I'd like to pull things into the city, but that's my bias for all things city. smile

Can you add the link to Refresh Detroit on your Refresh Lancaster site? We meet every month for a short presentation, discussion, food, and sharing news of local activities, events, and opportunities. Recent presentations included accessibiity, search engine marketing, CMS, information architecture, and SXSW.

"Change is inevitable, growth is intentional" - Glenda Cloud

Yay for going off topic! smile

OK, so sometime mid-May is what it's looking like... any particular day or time?

Mid May works for me... Most evenings would be fine.

Mid May is fine for me as well. Anything other than Wednesday (I guess I could miss an episode of Lost) or Thursday would be great.

For any of us with children, a weekend can often be better, as it can start and end earlier. What do you all think?

Agree. A weekend is definitely better with little tikes (especially if it's during nap time). Saturday mid afternoon (1pm to 3pm) or Sunday afternoon's after church are great times.

Last edited by beno (2007-04-24 13:03:06)

Well since May is fast approaching (a mere few days), let's throw out some dates...

May 5 and May 12 (both Saturdays) are really the only good weekend days for me at this point. May 19th possibly... I was going to go to a big BBQ in town, but haven't committed to it. May 26th is out, as my parents are coming up that day.

May 12, 19 and 26 are good for me but I can't do the 5th.

May 19, 26th are good for me

those dates work for me as well.

So how's the 19th? That seems to be when most can go. Where should we be meeting then?

Panera was mentioned. Locations J and D (google map) are in the King of Prussia area.

Last edited by beno (2007-05-03 09:34:48)

Should work for me