Topic: CSS drop down menus tutorial

Hello Everyone,

i need a css drop down menu tutorial for one of my project.

any example or tutorial will be highly apprictiable.

thanks in advnace

Tricker Baron

Help people to get helped by people

Re: CSS drop down menus tutorial

Two sites come to mind:

CSSPlay - Stu Nichols - lots of examples of drop-down menus; it looks like Stu has recently redesigned his site
TJK Design  - Thierry Koblenz - who has been active on the CSS discussion list for a while

Oops! I forgot the one I visit often:
Listamatic - for all kinds of navigation menus, not just drop downs

Last edited by Deborah (2007-04-09 05:05:54)

"Change is inevitable, growth is intentional" - Glenda Cloud

Look at the listamatic for some styling options, but check out the son of suckerfish (google) for one of the best ways to go about drop down menus.

IMO, the "son of suckerfish" technique is the best.

"I was blind, but now I see!"  John 9:25

I've used son of suckerfish menus as well for a couple sites. If you use it, be aware there may be some issues you need to resolve, depending on your layout. Check out this site for a fix for the son of suckerfish "sticky menu" issue. There have also been several approaches mentioned recently on the CSS discussion list.

Last edited by Deborah (2007-04-09 06:32:58)

"Change is inevitable, growth is intentional" - Glenda Cloud

Thanks to all of you guys

One more question Guys

Is there any method or option to submit the form using CSS. (when javascript is not enabled in the browser)

any link or tutorial will be highly appriciated

Thanks in Advance

Muckoda Baron

Muckoda -

CSS does not have any facility for providing behavior or actions.  The CSS part of the menus is a matter of hiding or displaying things based upon cursor hovering.  CSS is all about how things look, not how they act.  Javascript is primarily about how things act, though it can influence how things look by manipulating references to class and id names that will involve CSS.  That interaction doesn't work in the reverse direction, though.

That's my 2 cents :^{>

Honored to Serve for Him - Tom ('Mas) Pickering <)><

Actually, CSS does have support for a few behaviors/actions, namely :focus and :hover. Using those, pure CSS drop-downs are possible. So, while JavaScript handles most behaviors/actions, there's some overlap in that area. Here's a demo by Eric Meyer.

http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

The only drawback is that IE6 only supports :hover on <a href> and nothing else, so a bit of JavaScript is still necessary to get it working, but only for that browser. For all other modern browsers, including IE7, pure CSS drop-down menus will work just fine.

Give me liturgy or give me death.

You could always use a submit button in a form tag. Not a big fan personally of using javascript for that kind of thing.

while ($success == 0) { $try++; }

i need a css drop down menu tutorial for one of my project

http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/2 … sing_menu/

"I was blind, but now I see!"  John 9:25