Topic: ASP.NET for Designers

Microsoft has new developer center for CSS/Standards based design.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/design/

Re: ASP.NET for Designers

Do you think MS is really trying here?  Recently, they seem to have more key employees such as Scott Guthrie who are more concerned about standards, but I'm not convinced those at the top are committed to them.  I do think their more recently released products, such as ASP.NET 2.0 are moving in the right direction, but productivity and the bottom line seem to be higher priorities.

What do you think?  Are the developer tools moving in the right direction?  Have they not gone far enough?

I'm not sure MS is all that committed to standards, particularly in the .NET framework.  I have come to the conclusion that .NET is probably best left in the corporate environment, where a lot of your applications are on a distributed platform to include intranet, desktop, and distributed applications all working together.  In the commercial design world, where we are usually dealing with a client who has no real IT backend to speak of, and we are dealing with shared hosting, I think one of the scripting languages (asp, php, etc.) is still the best way to go.

There are, of course, many shared hosts that support the .NET framework, but I'm not convinced that's the best platform for it.  And within a corporate network, standards is not really an issue since browsers are mostly mandated and they are more concerned with function over design (not to say design can't still be good, just that it's not a priority).

I do think, however, that the .NET framework will eventually evolve into a more standards-oriented platform, as we're beginning to see with 2.0, but for the time being, and probably the near-future, it is still mostly applications oriented.

...but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.  Joshua 24:15

I'm not entirely sure about their commitment to standards, but I do have to take some issue with .NET is only good for the corporate environment.  This may have been partially true with .NET 1.0/1.1 and the necessity for good software configuration management, but with the partial classes and JIT compile model of 2.0 (instead of precompile of 1.0/1.1) I think you will find an ease of deployment that you find with a scripting language.  I think with the improvements with 2.0 and the availablilty and support of VS Web Dev Express directly from MS, we will see more deployments of .NET in a non corporate environment.