Topic: SimpleLog. A simple (and free!) Ruby on Rails weblog application

Hmm, looks interesting:

A Ruby on Rails weblog application that helps you focus on writing above all else.

SimpleLog has all the features you want in a weblogging applicaton wrapped in an efficiently designed interface that eliminates clutter. By focusing on simplicity and usability, SimpleLog allows you to spend your time writing, rather than managing a convoluted CMS.

http://simplelog.net/

"I was blind, but now I see!"  John 9:25

Re: SimpleLog. A simple (and free!) Ruby on Rails weblog application

It does look interesting. I wonder if anyone at Godbit has had any experience with it. The only other Ruby on Rails weblog application I can think of off the top of my head is RadiantCMS.

He will return...

I've been seeing sneak peeks of SimpleLog's development process, since my coworker Garrett Dimon helps the author of SimpleLog. He recently switched his site from Textpattern to SimpleLog. It looks to be a pretty cool CMS, though I have not used it myself. All the templating is handled via Rails syntax, so it does require familiarity with both that MVC model, and the language itself.

Give me liturgy or give me death.

Methinks it'd be a little too simple for what I need to run my site, but I love SimpleLog's aesthetic -- both from a functional and a visual standpoint.

A little bit of a trivia -- before I switched to ExpressionEngine, and was attempting to rebuild my own personal CMS via CodeIgniter, I was very much influenced and inspired by SimpleLog.

Last edited by opus (2007-02-07 12:56:47)

I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come...

Nathan and Opus: Thanks for the input.

Nathan Smith wrote:

All the templating is handled via Rails syntax, so it does require familiarity with both that MVC model, and the language itself.

The fact that Rails syntax has to be used would be an advantage to current Rails users but at the same time provides a fairly steep learning curve for others. However, learning Simpelogs templating scheme would in turn help users not familiar with Rails step into Ruby on Rails development. Very interesting indeed...

He will return...

I have been using SimpleLog for a few months and enjoy it quite a bit. I love the feel of the admin as opus mentioned. it does have limited customization or "extensibility". but it's not really trying to be that, and it's right for what I want to do. the temperature of the porridge is just right.

by the way, Typo and Mephisto are other popular Rails blogging engines. Typo was the early popular choice, but Mephisto has become a favorite of the community.

Nathan Smith wrote:

All the templating is handled via Rails syntax, so it does require familiarity with both that MVC model, and the language itself.

Ouch. Probably not for me then, at least so far.

"I was blind, but now I see!"  John 9:25

@danofames: Thanks for bringing up Typo and Mephisto. I don't know why I forgot about Mephisto--especially since I almost installed Mephisto a few weeks ago.  I didn't realize Typo was built with Ruby on Rails. Typo hasn't always been a Ruby on Rails app has it?

He will return...

well, there's Typo3 which is PHP I believe.

That's what I was thinking about....

He will return...

I just came across this site and it gives a detailed look at SimpleLog that may be useful to anyone still confused about what SimpleLog is/does. Enjoy
http://garrettdimon.com/archives/2007/2 … simplelog/

He will return...