Topic: designing for other faiths

I get a lot of requests to use my art to represent different belief systems.  Many of them are for cd covers, some are for logos, etc.  I was just wondering if some of you got similar requests, and how you handle them.

I don't want to promote anti-Christian philosophies with my art, but I also understand that I can't live in a Christian bubble and only do business with Christians.  This neither promotes the sharing of the gospel, nor does it give an accurate pictures to unbelievers as to how we are to live.

What are your thoughts?

Re: designing for other faiths

Chris -

BroChris wrote:

I get a lot of requests to use my art to represent different belief systems.  Many of them are for cd covers, some are for logos, etc.  I was just wondering if some of you got similar requests, and how you handle them.  I don't want to promote anti-Christian philosophies with my art, but I also understand that I can't live in a Christian bubble and only do business with Christians.  This neither promotes the sharing of the gospel, nor does it give an accurate pictures to unbelievers as to how we are to live.  What are your thoughts?

We were approached once by a Muslim organization about our pro bono services.  We explained that those are targeted to Christian churches and organizations as a means of promoting and spreading the Gospel.  They understood and went elsewhere.

It comes down to what you're being asked to promote with your art.  If it's just the art without a promotion of another faith, it shouldn't matter.  However, it wouldn't be kosher to use God's gifts to you to promote ideas contrary to Scripture.  We're to be in the world, but not of it.  When we're in the world, we're mandated by Christ Himself to spread the Gospel.

That's my 2 cents :^{>

Honored to Serve for Him - Tom ('Mas) Pickering <)><

My father was a printer. When I was a kid, we had movie posters all over our basement: Star Wars (I'd like to have that one today), Viva Las Vegas, etc. My first album was The Grand Illusion by Styx, because my father got a promotional copy for doing the printing. He turned down the opportunity to do several Kiss albums because he didn't like the message he'd be sending.

We can't live in a Christian bubble, to be sure. We're to be salt and light. The question for me is whether I can pray wholeheartedly for the success of my client's venture. If I'd end up praying that God would undo my hard work, it's definitely a no-go for me. If I can ask God to prosper them through my efforts, I feel comfortable taking the job.

We're all looking forward to the future...but none of us more than the giant, evil robots.

Refuse to do any work contary to your beliefs, or thta are antichristian, and the Lord will bless you more.

kk