Topic: Free RubyOnRails Hosting

Is there such a thing? I can install it on my machine but I was wondering if there is any sort of subdomain free hosting. I don't mind if there are adds and such since I am going to use it only for "learning-testing".

I have found some "offers" about signing first through Dreamhost and then getting $49 off for the set-up and such but I'm not really interested on those offers at the time.

TIA,
Helmut

"...porque Jehová tu Dios estará contigo en dondequiera que vayas." Joshua 1:9

Re: Free RubyOnRails Hosting

Helmut-- I don't know of any free Ruby hosting--not to say it doesn't exist. I know that you can get a much better price on Dreamhost than just $49 off they're standard rate.  If you're interested, I can make a really good discount code for you; just let me know. Sorry about not knowing of any other free solutions.

BTW if you're just testing, why don't you try Instant Rails for windows or Locomotive for OS X?  Both of these shouldn't hurt your system and should be easy to delete. I know to remove Locomotive you just have to delete the main folder.

He will return...

Great, I should try to install Rails on my system. I am already running LAMP and I didn't want to run into any troubles where the localhost changes and stuff.

Generally, Rails hosts frown upon running apps in development mode on their servers. This is because development mode sucks up system resources like nothing you've seen. Your best bet is to use Locomoiive like Matt suggested, and then use a host like Dreamhost for testing the app in development mode.

Ryan Heneise  |  Art of Mission  |  Now with extra-strong Donor Tools mojo

Locomotive??!?!?! Bah!!

Check out this article on building it yourself - http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/0 … ysql_tiger

And I know some may not like this, but at dreamhost you can use MAX97 and get $97 off the first year. That is the max amount you can get off the signup. I think the total for a year commitment comes out to $22 something.

Locomotive is a whole lot easier to install than doing thing manually...so could you please explain the advantages of installing ruby on rails, mySQL 5.0, and LightTPD manually? I'm sure you're right about it being better to install these tools yourself, but I am curious about the advantages of doing it on your own are.

He will return...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I was able to do the one-click installer and RoR is installed along with my previous LAMP installation. The only difference is that one has to be stopped before the other one is active.

Robert, do you know if any kind of discount continues through the life of your hosting or is it only for the first year and then you have to pay the regular amount.

Mithrill: I suppose it all depends on the person. To me, building it myself is easy and provides more flexibility and  is system independent. I understand that the "one-click" installers are much easier, but I enjoy the learning process of doing it myself as well. On the at link I gave, it gave specific reasons why rolling your own is better.

Helmut: It doesn't extend past one year. But, you can keep buying new plans if you wanted. wink $22 for a year is pretty darn cheap.

Thanks a bunch Robert. After I posted my question, I noticed the link you provide answered my question Oops!!! big_smile

I think I'll give this a try when I get a chance....may be hard w/o net access at home sad

Last edited by Mithrill (2007-01-08 13:24:37)

He will return...

I rolled my own build like Robert for the reasons stated on Hivelogic and everything is working fine. Depending on your Internet connection and your system configuration, you could build your own in about an hour or less in you have Apples Xcode installed. Add a few extra minutes to install Xcode in you don't have it installed already. Xcode is included on the Developer Tools CD that came with your system installer disc set.

Last edited by RustyHack (2007-01-09 05:21:21)

"And he has commited to us the message of reconciliation, ..." 2 Cor. 5:19,20

FYI: Dan Benjamin has updated the Hivelogic installation recently to include new versions and additional tools. It now includes instructions for: Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Mongrel, Subversion, and MySQL. Check it out at: http://hivelogic.com/narrative/articles … -mysql-osx.

He will return...

Godaddy.com has a deluxe linux plan that has everything you'd need for running Ruby on Rails apps on the server.  100Gb storage.  Right now if you call in and order, you can get 1 year of hosting, and a domain for about $65.