Topic: Best Resources to Learn ROR

I was wondering what resources are the best  to learn Ruby on Rails.  I know ryenski posted a list of the top web tutorials a while back on another post, but I'm interested in some books as well. I'm basically coming from the perspective of a new object oriented programmer-- I have programmed in COBOL, VBA, and JavaScript (a little) and know XHTML, CSS, and SQL pretty well. Any help and ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

He will return...

Re: Best Resources to Learn ROR

I suppose this post with a picture showing a few of the books Ryan has bought might help:

http://www.artofmission.com/articles/20 … ruby-books

Exercise your faith!

Here are some more books:

http://www.artofmission.com/about/books

Ryan Heneise  |  Art of Mission  |  Now with extra-strong Donor Tools mojo

Thanks Yannick and ryenski....a picture is worth a thousand words though a geek might say, "A thousand words are worth a picture, and they load a heck of a lot faster."

Ryenski, I'll try to remember to use your amazon referrer link if I buy any of these books directly from Amazon so you'll a kickback. wink

He will return...

The Ruby Cookbook is awesome. Agile Web Development with Rails (2nd Edition) is a must. Rails Recipes is great and they are working on a follow-up book to it currently.   

I'm looking forward to Rails Cookbook and I've been thinking about picking up Ajax with Rails.

Here is the order of my recommendation:

1. Agile Web Development with Rails 2nd Edition
2. Ruby Cookbook
3. Ruby for Rails
4. Rails Recipes
5. Ruby Programming 2nd Edition

There are more great ones.

Thanks Robert--the order of your recommendations are especially helpful. This will help me more effectively allocate my limited budget. BTW it's good to hear from you. I've missed being around this forum and commenting on all of my favorite blogs lately. I'm still waiting to get Internet access at home sad

He will return...

It's good to hear from you too! I couldn't imagine living without internet access. I think I would go mad!

It really is crazy going w/o Internet access...at least I have limited access at work.  I can't wait till I have the chance to get Internet access again (where I'm temporarily living now only has dial-up and I don't have a LAN line).  Keep in touch and best of luck with all your projects.

He will return...

I just ordered Agile Web Development from Amazon. Can't wait till get it in! In the mean time I'll keep reading the free online Ruby books.

He will return...