Topic: CF hosting

anyone know of some really good hosts for cold fusion.  I want to change sermonade over to cf from php and my server doesn't have cf on it.

I was thinking of using this shopping cart soft on it too. Trading Eye

thank
josh

[witty scriptorial reference here]

Re: CF hosting

I actually just switched from OurInternet.us to CrystalTech and have been very happy with them.  They offer much better services and support, and better performance as well.  Best of all, they are a certified host through Adobe for ColdFusion, which means that they adhere to better CF service standards than some other CF hosts.

ah cool.  Will check them out, thanks gurugreg.
Man this cold fusion forum thread never really gets any playtime.
People hate COLDFUSION or something?

I hate coldfusion with a fierce, burning intensity. When I started my current job I inherited a massive CF e-commerce website to maintain, so I had to learn the language on the fly. I think that CF is a bloated, annoying language to learn because you have to relearn how to do everything (queries, loops, echo statements, etc) using CF syntax which I find to be extremely annoying. I've found that it's hard to find a good hosting company that supports CF well (I'm sure they are out there, I just haven't seen any). Plus, from a strategic standpoint, it seems that CF is a dying language. My company has not been able to find any dedicated CF developers to make improvements to the site, so we have been stuck with freelancers.

Anyway, sorry about going off like this. All of what I said is only in my humble opinion. I just wanted to vent smile

-Rhino

Lord, give us the wisdom to utter words that are gentle and tender, for tomorrow we may have to eat them.   -Rep. Morris Udall

CF is far from dead. Web programming languages like PHP and ASP are more prevalent because they are FREE. ColdFusion never has seen a lot of adoption because of the COST of getting the server application (anywhere from $1000 to $5000 per license). Adobe is fully committed to developing it further... ColdFusion 8, Codenamed Scorpio, will be available sometime this year.

I've used CFML for close to 7 years, and I enjoy using it... but it's not for everyone.

{{{(>.<)}}} (o.o) \(^o^)/

Rhino wrote:

I hate coldfusion with a fierce, burning intensity. When I started my current job I inherited a massive CF e-commerce website to maintain, so I had to learn the language on the fly. I think that CF is a bloated, annoying language to learn because you have to relearn how to do everything (queries, loops, echo statements, etc) using CF syntax which I find to be extremely annoying. I've found that it's hard to find a good hosting company that supports CF well (I'm sure they are out there, I just haven't seen any). Plus, from a strategic standpoint, it seems that CF is a dying language. My company has not been able to find any dedicated CF developers to make improvements to the site, so we have been stuck with freelancers.

Anyway, sorry about going off like this. All of what I said is only in my humble opinion. I just wanted to vent smile

-Rhino

Wow...that's like the exact opposite of my feelings on CF.  I find it streamlined, straightforward and easy compared to PHP and ASP.  Good hosting companies are easy to find, just start with the Adobe Coldfusion Certified Providers list, but good "bargain basement" hosting companies are few and far between.

And CF is actually growing by leaps and bounds.  The online CF community has grown a lot in the last few years.

However, there are still few certified dedicated CF developers, so I'm sure they've been gobbled up fast.  It also seems to depend on the area you're in.  There are some cities where CF is everywhere, and some places nobody's even heard of it.

GuruGreg wrote:

good "bargain basement" hosting companies are few and far between.

Actually, we have the opposite problem: we need a massive, powerful host to drive our e-commerce site, and Verio apparently knows even less about CF than we do.

I did not realize that there is an active, growing CF community. I guess I've had my nose buried in nothing but Actionscript and PHP forums lately. I do know for sure that there is a severe lack of CF developers where I live...that fact has caused me some headaches as I try to hack the live site while learning CF at the same time.

To me, php seems so much more elegant and efficient than CF, especially when you combine php with an API like codeigniter. The bracketed syntax that CF uses drives me absolutely insane. Then again, I have been coding php for so long that it has become very familiar to me. As previously mentioned, the fact that php is free is a big plus to me as well.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I don't think either language is better or worse than the other, just different, and they are good at different things. I just happen to like php better.

-Rhino

Last edited by Rhino (2007-01-05 15:14:26)

Lord, give us the wisdom to utter words that are gentle and tender, for tomorrow we may have to eat them.   -Rep. Morris Udall

Hello All

Like you Rhino, 2 years ago I was dropped in the middle of a CF development nightmare, with nothing but the "Using Coldfusion" option in the Dreamweaver help menu and Google to back me up.  However, like any other language, I found that a for-next loop is the same all over, it's just a matter of syntax.  I have found CF to be fairly powerful, yet easy to use (not a common combo).  But, like I say to the couple of Mac disciples I work with: the right tool for the right job.   Each language has it's strengths & weaknesses, so we as the keepers of all things compilable are forced to do a balancing act with respect to the tools we choose for a given project.  .NET, for example, solves a lot of problems with it's code-behind structure, but I get tired of having to compile everytime I make a minor change.

I think the real trick is twofold: 1) assume you can do it, then just figure out how; and 2) treat each programming language like a hammer, and just choose the right type

A little deep for an inital post, but hey, it's Sunday and I just got back from church wink

I had to briefly use CF for a while at one job I was at, nothing major though.  Overall I thought it was a pretty easy language to use once you got used to it.....but whats the point?  PHP does the same stuff and it's FREE (no license to use it, and hosting it is free and easy, plus source code is avalible for anyone who is so inclined).  Also, I found it next to impossible to find any tutorials or help online since it's a closed language, yet again why I prefer PHP.

I have a friend who is a PHP master and then got a job doing CF.  His quote to me was "Coldfusion is like PHP's younger retarded brother".

Rhino wrote:

Verio apparently knows even less about CF than we do.

It's been my experience that Verio doesn't know much of anything about hosting. And they're leeches when it comes to their customers. Not that I'm bitter.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled ColdFusion debate.

Ninjas and pirates both agree: cowboys suck.

C.Barr wrote:

I had to briefly use CF for a while at one job I was at, nothing major though.  Overall I thought it was a pretty easy language to use once you got used to it.....but whats the point?  PHP does the same stuff and it's FREE (no license to use it, and hosting it is free and easy, plus source code is avalible for anyone who is so inclined).  Also, I found it next to impossible to find any tutorials or help online since it's a closed language, yet again why I prefer PHP.

I have a friend who is a PHP master and then got a job doing CF.  His quote to me was "Coldfusion is like PHP's younger retarded brother".

I always find the "free" argument amusing.  If you're paying for web hosting, it might cost you between $1 and $5 more per month to find a good one that provides CF access and support as well.  And if you're in an environment where you're running your own server, the cost is worth it for the support you can get from Adobe.

And if you couldn't find any help online, sorry, you didn't look hard enough.  Adobe has every tag and function clearly defined (usually with an example or two) on their website (plus, they're all installed on your server if you install it yourself).  And if you have something more complicated that you need info on, chances are one of the bigwigs (like Ben Forta, Ray Camden, or Pete Freitag) has done it and posted about it, or knows how to provide help.

And, unfortunately for PHP, CF is much more powerful simply because you can harness the power of Java code in your applications (since CF is built on Java).

Maybe we need to make a "Debunking CF Myths" thread...:-)

I think that would be a good idea there guru.
Debunk away... smile

Larry Tomlinson wrote:
Rhino wrote:

Verio apparently knows even less about CF than we do.

It's been my experience that Verio doesn't know much of anything about hosting. And they're leeches when it comes to their customers. Not that I'm bitter.

You are absolutely, 100% correct. The more I am forced to "work" with those jokers, the more incredulous I get that they are still in business.

As far as CF is concerned, I would be really curious to see what other myths are out there to get debunked. I don't think I'll be using anything other than PHP in the conceivable future but its always cool to learn about what else is out there.

Last edited by Rhino (2007-01-16 06:53:37)

hsojeel wrote:

anyone know of some really good hosts for cold fusion.  I want to change sermonade over to cf from php and my server doesn't have cf on it.

I was thinking of using this shopping cart soft on it too. Trading Eye

thank
josh

I am with http://www.hostingatoz.com for 1+ year now. I host about 7 ColdFusion Sites with them. So far they have been quite reliable. They offer ColdFusion 7 MX Enterprise Edition for free with their S-III Plan (250 MB Space + 5 GB Bandwidth) which is for $19.99/YEAR. You can see more details about the same at - http://www.hostingatoz.com/shared_hosting.cfx .

Regards,
ZingBoy smile