Topic: Looking for Work

I am really trying to find some freelancing opportunities but failing to come across any clients willing to give me a try.  I am a junior in college and fairly competitive when it comes to graphic design and creative thinking.  I am having trouble finding projects however.  Any suggestions?

Re: Looking for Work

I would suggest getting together a portfolio. When I decided to freelance, I followed this article pretty much to the letter...

http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/arch … -in-design

Give me liturgy or give me death.

Alright.  I will try to pull some of my past pieces out and form a nice portfolio.  Thanks for the advice, Nathan.

Nothing beats a portfolio, except your own portfolio. wink

Lately, people have been asking me for samples of my code. Perhaps a portfolio section just with code. tongue

Robert -

Robert Evans wrote:

Nothing beats a portfolio, except your own portfolio. wink

Lately, people have been asking me for samples of my code. Perhaps a portfolio section just with code. tongue

Maybe you could call it a Codefolio. wink

That's my 2¢.  :^{>

Honored to Serve for Him - Tom ('Mas) Pickering <)><

It's defiantly something I need to put together, I have to do a work placement year in 2007.

What do you think is the best way to piece together and present a portfolio?  I cannot afford to purchase and manage my own domain.  I have a small pit of webspace that my college gives me.  But it's only about 30 mb so I can't do a whole lot with that.  Not to mention the url is long and unsightly.  What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Michael -

Innofative wrote:

What do you think is the best way to piece together and present a portfolio?  I cannot afford to purchase and manage my own domain.  I have a small pit of webspace that my college gives me.  But it's only about 30 mb so I can't do a whole lot with that.  Not to mention the url is long and unsightly.  What are your thoughts/suggestions?

A domain name can be gotten for $15 or less / year and hosting can be found for less than $10 / month.  Without those, you would come across as fly-by-night or amateurish.  You're establishing an image with your profile site that will connect them to what you've done and also demonstrate what you're capable of in the way of site features, design, etc.  If you're committed to this endeavor, then take a full step - don't just stick your toe in the water.

That being said, understand that what's gonna get the jobs will most likely be word-of-mouth advertising, not a whiz-bang website.  That's the catch-22 (read the book by the same name if you don't know what it means).  It's important to connect up with one or two businesses that can open major networking doors to other businesses, even if you have to work on their site(s) for cheap to get your foot in the door.  We convinced the local Chamber of Commerce to go online eleven years ago and our business has grown from that.  Course, it helps a lot if God is pulling for ya too. wink  Make sure you work out a way to give some back to Him out of what He brings to you and doors will often fly open for ya. smile

That's my 2¢.  :^{>

Honored to Serve for Him - Tom ('Mas) Pickering <)><

What exactly are you looking for?