Topic: SWF not displaying

Can anyone tell me why, in Firefox 1.5 (the only version I have) the flash intro for this site doesn't appear?
http://groundwire.net/

Is it related to the Flash header not showing up on the rest of the pages (like this one)?
http://groundwire.net/listenup.cfm

They're a new client, and the site was obviously built in IE...it works as advertised there. I'd like to pop the movies into FF as quickly as I can.

Thanks!

We're all looking forward to the future...but none of us more than the giant, evil robots.

Re: SWF not displaying

Groundwire, nice client. I don't see any intro in any browser on a PC.

I get a quick flash and sound for the intro, maybe it has to do with the intro itself that you have the flash movie to go to the site right away instead of waiting for the movie to finish playing.

For the header it works with no problems here.

FF - XP - Player 9

Last edited by Helmut Granda (2006-10-12 08:46:23)

"...porque Jehová tu Dios estará contigo en dondequiera que vayas." Joshua 1:9

Rob:
You know Groundwire? Have you heard them on the radio?
I see an intro in IE6 on an XP PC...odd that you don't see one.

Helmut:
Which version of FF do you have? I'm using 1.5 (build 0.7) and see no SWF on this site...UH-OH!

OOH. Wow. I'm not seeing ANY Flash with that browser. I usually only open it to test while I code...I've never noticed a lack of Flash because I don't use it to browse. Anyone have a clue why it might not show any Flash? I can't imagine that many people not being able to see Strong Bad videos, so I'm sure it's just mine that's having trouble. Help!

We're all looking forward to the future...but none of us more than the giant, evil robots.

Ff 1.5.0.7

"...porque Jehová tu Dios estará contigo en dondequiera que vayas." Joshua 1:9

Thanks, Helmut. We're using the same version, but I see no headers. Weird.

I don't know them, but I have heard about them through KKLA Radio Station.

On IE6 I don't see the flash, other than the white box. Is that what I am suppose to see a white box that expands, but is empty?

Ah...the mighty KKLA. smile

You're supposed to see a large intro on the main page...and headers on internal pages. You can see two screenshots here and here:

http://www.godwords.org/temp/forumpics/groundwire01.jpg
http://www.godwords.org/temp/forumpics/groundwire02.jpg

You can see the surrounding elements, but not the SWF. Helmut sees the headers in the same version of FF that I have, where there are none. I'm baffled.

Do you have a FF no view flash extension or ad ware type extension installed?

I see the headers no problem. When the site loads a white box expands and sits there for a few seconds with nothing in it and then it goes to the page with the headers. FF 1.5.07 and IE6

Robert Evans wrote:

Do you have a FF no view flash extension or ad ware type extension installed?

Gosh, I hope not. I've looked through my options and found nothing. I've disabled all extensions with no success. Beyond that, I'm not sure where to look. I'm geeky enough to keep my system free of adware, scumware, malware, and other ware-type wares.

I see the headers no problem. When the site loads a white box expands and sits there for a few seconds with nothing in it and then it goes to the page with the headers. FF 1.5.07 and IE6

That's what I see in IE6, but not in FF. Any other ideas? I really appreciate your input.

Can anybody see anything in the code that looks suspicious? My experience with embedding Flash is VERY limited.

You have javascript enabled right? If you have the web dev toolbar, check and make sure.

LOL...I hadn't thought to check it, since I've never disabled it. Thanks...it's enabled. Still no go. Even the javascript console gives no error for the page. I've fixed their validation errors (including a character encoding mismatch between the file and server) and still come up empty.

I'm thinking that it's really me, so I'm going to uninstall my FF and reinstall the newer version.

Whew! That did it. Something about my installation was causing the problem. I had to delete the program, extensions, and profiles (from all over the place) to get it right. A raw install shows the pages. BOOM-shakalaka.

Thanks for all your help, folks...I couldn't have troubleshot it without you!