Topic: Macbook: Pro Or No

Wow, I"m just having a blast with these titles...

What about it?  Does anyone out there have a regular Macbook?  I'm really eyeing it up...but I tested it out today, and it seems slow compared to the Pro...

For graphics/web/flash work, how does it do?

Anyone know?

Yo.  This is my sig.  It roars.

Re: Macbook: Pro Or No

Hey newmansmm,

The macbooks are very good, I personally don't have one but my friend does.  One thing they REALLY need though is a memory upgrade (at least to a gig, but preferably 2, you will notice a HUGE difference).  The reason for that is the dual core Intel cpu really wants more ram.  I would say find someone who knows how to upgrade the ram, and you can purchase the ram from newegg.com for like $160ish for the 2 gigs, versus the like $500 that apple chargers.

Also I would suggest waiting until next week.  There is a rumor the new Macbook Pros are coming out this week at Photokina, probably sporting the Core 2 Duo's (a big speed jump/less energy use from the current core duos).  So I would see if they come out, and if they do, the Core 2 Duo is worth the extra $ IMHO.

-Ray

Last edited by RayCMorgan (2006-09-25 18:43:13)

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. [Gen. 1:1]

Yeah, I heard that about the ram stuff myself (that being that the Macbook NEEDS it).  I tried the Pro and the NoPro in the store, and I guess it was because the NoPro only had 512, that it ran like molasses in January in Greenland...

But I didn't want to plunk down a thousand bucks and find out that wasn't the case for the slow performance.

Wow, thanks for the info on the Pros...I didn't know it was going to be *this week*.  I wasn't going to buy that soon anyway, but thanks!  I knew they were coming out with something before Christmas with the Core 2 Duos.

Always always take rumours with a grain of salt. Apply can release new products anytime they very well please, and the rumours have been saying they'd release them for ages now. I myself am also looking at getting a macbook, but not sure if it'll be a Pro or 'NoPro' as you put it smile

Ninjas and pirates both agree: cowboys suck.

Speed-wise you won't see a huge difference between the two, except maybe in flash where the video card of the pro will give you a little bump. I'd be more concerned about screen area, you get a good chunk more resolution with the MBP that could be beneficial.

chris (fig): i'm not random, i'm tangent oriented... : www.tangentoriented.com

If you're doing video work, the MacBook Pro is the way to go. It doesn't have the silly integrated graphics that the MB has, so you'll be able to do more along the lines of editing, motion graphics, compositing, etc.

Larry Tomlinson wrote:

If you're doing video work, the MacBook Pro is the way to go. It doesn't have the silly integrated graphics that the MB has, so you'll be able to do more along the lines of editing, motion graphics, compositing, etc.

ditto

actually, you might be surprised at how close the two benchmark with Final Cut Studio.

Yeah, I wouldn't think that the video ram would have much to do with it, as that's more for 3D renders than anything (I think)...

It's looking like Macbook (and a dell 20 inch widescreen) like it will do it...

But maybe I'll wait a little while until they upgrade to core 2 duos...

And that whole Photoshop universal binary thing, yeah, that's a pretty decently big deal too.

chrisfig wrote:

actually, you might be surprised at how close the two benchmark with Final Cut Studio.

Hmm. I was basing my assessment on the fact that on the Final Cut Studio tech specs page says:

Apple Computer, Inc. wrote:

AGP Quartz Extreme or PCI Express graphics card (Final Cut Studio is not supported on systems using the Intel Extreme Graphics 950 GMA)

Looks like Apple doesn't know their own product can run on the integrated stuff. I like the look and feel of the MacBook better than the Pro, so meh.

I think it's more like "able to run well on a cheaper machine" and "not supported officially cause we want you to spend more on the pro machine" smile

I finally upgraded to a MacBook Pro last month and LOVE it! I had been using a G4 Tower (750 mHz) and am AMAZED at the difference in speed! Really - it's amazing how fast. I got a refurbished one for much cheaper than new and haven't had a single problem. I did go ahead and get the Apple Care warranty just in case.

Check out Apple's Web site (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W … rtifiedMac) for refurbished MacBook's, as well as MacConnection (that's where I ended up buying mine because they had free shipping).