Topic: Is everyone using Flash Player v8?

Just curious...

We are looking to design with the flash 8 player in mind but are wondering who has upgraded.

BTW, Macromedia and Microsoft both recomend an upgrade to v8 due to an issue with the Flash 7 player.

I dream with an XML intereface

Re: Is everyone using Flash Player v8?

I am using version 8. I tend to updated whenever their is a new version out.

Last edited by Yannick Lyn Fatt (2005-12-19 06:15:24)

Exercise your faith!

I am now 'cause some website made me! tongue

I use v8.

In case you weren't aware, Macromedia releases quarterly statistics on this information.  Although many of us in the design community have already boarded the v8 train, the public is still (slowly) catching up.  Check out this link: Flash player version stats.  They aren't even tracking v8 yet, although it should be out within a month or so.

My advice, if you're building Flash for public consumption, is always stay at least one version back.  You'll get fewer phone calls that way. wink

Most people have upgraded by now I think. About 69% of the visitors to my site have version 8, and 29% use version 7.

Give me liturgy or give me death.

edgemedia wrote:

My advice, if you're building Flash for public consumption, is always stay at least one version back.  You'll get fewer phone calls that way. wink

only problem with that is that both macromedia and microsoft recomendto upgrade to v8 due to problems with the v7 player.

there is just some much more power in the v8 that I thnk we will see a huge trend in upgrades.

tank wrote:

there is just some much more power in the v8 that I thnk we will see a huge trend in upgrades.

Well, you know that.  But the general user doesn't.  And if your audience is corporate, consider that most large organisations are slow to release "luxury" updates.

Mint gives the following stats off our church site:
Flash 8      47%
Flash 7     44%
Flash 6     7%

v7 to v8 isn't really a luxury update. It's one of the few 3rd party security notices that microsoft has released. It's nothing that is really bad but it is a flaw that warrants people to upgrade.

And speaking of upgrading. Flash 8 has an awesome piece of code that can be added in to auto upgrade teh flash player without going to the Macromedia website. It does it all in teh background of the flash player (as long as it's v6 and above) All it does is pops up a messagee asking if you want to upgrade and then it does the rest. We're currently working on the implementation of it and testing it in a live environment. It's not a straight forward command to add the code in so we want to be sure it's done right and works well before its released.

In saying "luxury", my point is that many corporate IT people would look at it that way, even if there is a flaw.